PDA

View Full Version : PowerTrax no-slip; issues, or normal?


ochoco
September 9th, 2017, 22:39
I am a Rural Carrier for the USPS and use my RHD XJ every day on my route. My route is approximately 55 miles long and consists of a lot of long gravel roads and driveways.

My 97 XJ has a Chrysler 8.25 29 spline open rear differential. I was tired of constantly spinning when pulling away from mail boxes where I generally have one tire on pavement or solid ground and the other on gravel or mud. I assumed the PowerTrax No-Slip would fit the bill for what I was needing.

There are two things it is doing which concern me and I'm coming here to find out if they are normal operation of this locker or there may be something wrong.
First; when I pull away from a mailbox my right rear tire is just spinning and my left is doing nothing. Most noticeable in deep gravel. This happens about 75% of the time with the other 25% I pull away easily with no wheel spin.
Second; when I accelerate it pulls hard to the left. As soon as I let off it over corrects back to the right hard.

When I installed the no slip everything seemed to go as the directions described so I'm not sure what could be the problem. I did the tire test by jacking the rear up while in park. Holding one wheel forward against the drive line and turning the opposite wheel backwards. Both sides made the ratchet sound and would not turn the same way as the wheel being held.

Any insight would be appreciated,

Thanks.

ochoco
September 9th, 2017, 22:40
I decided to pull the locker out and verified that nothing was broken. I re-installed it and it's doing the same things it was before. Spinning out while trying to pull back on the road bugs me the most because I was under the impression that if one wheel slips the other should take over. Not the case most of the time.

After I got it back together the second time I did the wheel test. With the vehicle in park and the rear in the air I had my son hold the right tire forward against the drive line and was able to spin the left tire backwards producing the ratchet sound. I tried to rotate it forward and it just stopped. I then swapped sides and got the right side to ratchet backwards but when I spun it forward it ratcheted forward as well....:confused:

RCP Phx
September 10th, 2017, 07:36
Something is not right, did you test it with the "GO, No Go" gauge?

ochoco
September 10th, 2017, 12:36
Something is not right, did you test it with the "GO, No Go" gauge?

Yes, it passed. Narrow fit wide did not, all the way around.