• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Floor Pan Pre-1997 vs 1997+

Top Heavy

NAXJA Forum User
I am currently building a 1996 Cherokee Country, and would like to add Weathertech floor mats front and rear (always have, and I like the brand). Living in Canada this helps greatly with keeping moisture and salt off of the inside of the floor pans.

I have searched everywhere for this answer, though cannot find a confirmed and defined result. The seat mounting of my 1996 appears to be exactly the same as a 1997, the floor pan numbers even crossover.

Though when I look at Weathertech's website and contact customer service they do not show a listing and state there must have been a change in the floor pan or seat mounting to create a discrepancy in fit 1997 and up.

Am I missing something or are the floorpans and seatmounts as installed i a 1996 Cherokee the same as a 1997?

I don't think most aftermarket manufacturers are able to distinguish between tail lights and airbags. I have found that at least one carpet manufacturer couldn't get this right.

The floor pan layout/seat mounting cut-off is 1994/1995.

In 1995 they added the airbags. Along with this they added the cross bar for seat mounting. This puts the front seat mount bolts in at an angle such that they would need to shear off, not just pull out of the sheet metal.

Pretend you have a 1997 and you should be fine.

Consider looking into Hexomats by Introtech. Have some un my DD honda and my MJ. Will be buying a set for my XJ.

Back