• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tricks to pitman arm removal???

RCP Phx

NAXJA Forum User
I've tried about everything in the book.........ain't happening....

I've taken a number of pitman arms off in my day, and a little heat seems to do the trick. I take my mapp gas torch and heat up the arm just a little bit, taking care not to damage the shaft seal. I use a decent quality puller, a little heat, and hit the end of the puller with a hammer, and it's always worked for me. A little PB Blaster, or equivalent, doesn't hurt, too. Never had to cut one off with this method.

Finally got it!

Taken off many pitman arms!Got a brand new PSC box so no dis-assembly worries! The pitman arm removal was off the XJ.

attempt #1 ball joint/pitman arm press
broke it!

attempt #2 3-jaw puller
wouldn't grip enough to hold

attempt #3 crankshaft gear puller
w/ the use of a air hammer -no go

attempt #4 above plus air/acetylene torch-no go

attempt #5 switch to the 20ton press and bearing plates,
even with the torch - no go

attempt #6 20 ton press + oxy/acetylene cutting head
while under the load of the press and the arm starting to show color it started to creak/pop until it finally let go!

The only tool that I swear u must buy the best, if you want it to work Everytime no matter what.
Snap on pitman arm puller. Works with no effort if u have a electric or air impact....

Get tension on the pitman arm puller then a couple good whacks to the side of the pitman arm where the shaft goes through with a 3 pound hammer and it will fall right off.

That is the way I do it, the same as kc1ble.

The only tool that I swear u must buy the best, if you want it to work Everytime no matter what.
Snap on pitman arm puller. Works with no effort if u have a electric or air impact....

Right the CJ119B. Was handed one years ago to take off the pitman arm on a MB steering box and it's all I've ever used. Sometimes you think you're running the impact too much but just keep at it.

Re: Finally got it!

Taken off many pitman arms!Got a brand new PSC box so no dis-assembly worries! !

I feel your pain. I was about to give up on mine after heating it to the point the box was smoking badly, and the pitman arm puller bending and flexing. Once it cooled off and I found out a new arm was $60, I tried once more and it popped right off. Grease the threads on the puller and if it's the harbor freight puller add a clamp to squeeze the sides so it doesn't flex as much.

You doing the pump as well? Don't even think about getting the pulley off the pump. Just buy a new one. Put it in the oven at 250* for a bit before trying to install. Use a long high-grade bolt with a nut on it. Run the bolt all the way in and use the nut and a washer to push the pulley on. If you try to use the bolt, you'll probably rip the thread out of the shaft.

Back