• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Loose balljoint issue

XJalltheway85

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I've read about this in some other threads but couldn't really find a definitive answer, so here it goes. I recently replaced the ball joints on my front HP Dana 30, I had some of those shitty Alloy USA ones with the splined body and they wore out real quick so I figured I'd try some Spicer ones (OEM I think) this time around. The old joints pressed out pretty easy but I figured it was just because they had only been installed less than a year ago and weren't rusted in there. But when I reinstalled the Spicer joints (smooth body) I noticed that on the drivers the press fit in the outer C for the upper joint was almost gone, the ball joint fell in and only needed to be pressed like an 1/8 of an inch. So I used some Loctite retaining compound to hold it in since this is my daily driver, but decided it was time for a new front axle. I went to the pull and pay yesterday and bought a new HP D30, but when I got it home and pressed out the old ball joints, the drivers side upper came out really easy. So now I'm worried this new axle is going to have the same issue as my old one. My question is are the Spicer joints with the smooth body smaller than the aftermarket ones? Or is the press fit just worn out due to improper installation. I'm trying to decide if I should take this axle back to the pull and pay and exchange it for another one or if I have other options.

I'll tell you this much I have an LP dana 30 and used the moog joints and replaced the OEM joints with 180k+ miles on them the old ones were HARD to get out and the new ones were not easy to put in but they weren't very difficult. Should be the same knuckle though so there's my .02 cents

I think Moog has some "problem solver" ball joints that have a slightly larger cup to make up for a loose socket. That might be an option for either one of your axles.

I have gone back and forth between the standard MOOG's and Spicer's without any issues.

I had one to work on earlier this year that the Spicers just dropped in and spun. Looked like a cheap aftermarket ball joint enlarged the the bore. None of the ball joints NAPA sold would take much pressing. Ended up changing the axle.

I have seen short life from MOOG ball joints and don't use them anymore.

Back