• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX15 3/4 Shift Sleeve not like others.

Catch22

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up an AX15 a while back. It was full of water from sitting so I figured I would break it down, check it out and thrown in a rebuild kit just to be safe.
So I got it down to the shafts and ordered my kit. I didn't note any real damage but I did note something different than most videos/writeups regarding the 3/4 sleeve and syncros. Most writeups point out that these syncros are cut/angled.
All my existing syncos are straight (houses, etc). It looks like the sleeves are also straight to match.
In my kit I received angled for 3/4 2 angled for 3/4. These do not match what I'm replacing.
My understanding is I should match the syncos to the sleeve. The closest match is the one I got for 5th. This one looks right.

Calling around everyone tells me, "No you put the cut/angled ones in there" and "they didnt make one with all straight cut" but online I can't find a write up that has the same original setup as me, or anyone that mates syncros that dont match. Most point out you need to match the syncros to the sleeve.

Has anyone run into this scenario? I don't like doing work twice if I can help it.

When I ordered a rebuild kit, they specifically asked for the serial number as there was a change in the synchros at some point. I thought the change was in the 5th gear synchro though.

Back