• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

(Lockrite)Replacement for rollpin avail???

ABQ_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm probably the first person to ever have trouble getting the rollpin back inside the carrier to hold the pinion shaft - I hope not. I've got the front carrier and Lockrite re-assembled and couldn't get the rollpin back in to save my life. After breaking all the tools that I shouldn't have been using in the first place the rollpin made it about a quarter of the way in before breaking. Everything I've read didn't mention that being a problem at all. Anyway, is that rollpin something NAPA would carry or is there a reliable replacement? Lastly, was that supposed to be pressed in? I can't understand why it was so friggin' tough to install.

Are you sure it wasn't supposed to have a bolt instead of the roll pin?

When I changed spiders in my D35 the kit came with a roll pin that was too big and a bolt.

I had a bigger problem getting the old pin out, but I had to get my own pin to put it back in.

Where did you get your own pin? I had a rollpin in there and tried to put it back in when I was done. I was wondering if it's possible to tap a the hole and thread a bolt in there instead? As long as it isn't going anywhere right?

I think it was just a 1/4" pin. I have a small selection and one looked right and fit.

The one that came with the kit was something like a 1/16" larger. I destroyed the original because I was too lazy to pull the carrier or buy a roll pin punch.

Tapping it sounds like a lot of work that doesn't need to be done, but I think you could do it. Is the hole in the cross shaft smaller than the hole in the carrier?

Yeah, I'm gonna hold off on that tapping idea as a last resort. But the hole in the shaft is larger than the carrier hole anyway. I'll see what a local shop suggests in the morning. Thx for the input though.

I just went throught this on a D35 rear not sure on the front. If you have a d35 without c-clips the hole in the pinion cross shaft is smaller than the one in the c-clip axle. Call powertrax to check you have the correct pinion shaft. Frustrated the *(&^ out of me. Good Luck, John

It’s generally a good idea to replace that kind of hardware rather than reuse it. I got a replacement at NAPA no prob.

Yeah, I found another rollpin at NAPA. I thought about using a solid steel pin, same size, but worried about it expanding/contracting and working it's way out. But it's all back together and just waiting for oil and a test drive tomorrow. Wish me luck. ;)

Glad to here it went smoothly for ya. Mine was such a PITA on account of the bearing not wanting to come off. Welcome to a new world of wheelin’.

Back