PDA

View Full Version : Riddler diff cover,

techno1154
August 18th, 2017, 17:13
Have anyone drilled and tapped one? I want to add a drain plug so I could change the oil without removing the cover. It have a threaded fill plug but no drain plug. What is it made from? Is it nodular iron? I do have a few pipe taps from 1/8" to 1/2".

TRAILREADYXJ
August 18th, 2017, 18:06
Honestly not sure what they cast them with, and haven't drilled and tapped mine, but I don't see why you couldn't do this successfully. I drill and tap housings for ARBs all the time and there really wouldn't be a difference with this.

With that said, I wouldn't personally do this because oil change intervals aren't that frequent, and when they do come around I like to pull the cover and look things over.

trippled
August 18th, 2017, 18:07
Weren't those technically a crane cover? I don't see why not. My only issue would be hitting it on a rock and smashing the plug.

RCP Phx
August 18th, 2017, 19:35
I don't see why not! I bought several of the "Rockcrusher" covers and drilled/tapped all of them!

comanche91
August 19th, 2017, 09:18
On the Riddler site it states that the covers are "Cast from High Grade Ductile Iron". It looks like there's really not a decent flat spot to mount a drain plug on these covers.

techno1154
August 19th, 2017, 09:52
On the Riddler site it states that the covers are "Cast from High Grade Ductile Iron". It looks like there's really not a decent flat spot to mount a drain plug on these covers.

That is a definite concern for me. There is no straight spot on the bottom that will make it easy to do with basic hand tools. I guess a machine shop should be able to hold it in a fixture and drill it good enough to be able to have it tapped to accept a 3/8" pipe plug. A recessed head plug should not be too obtrusive,....I think.

I will ponder over this for my next oil change.

RCP Phx
August 19th, 2017, 10:15
That's a huge plug!!! I use 1/8" NPT for drain plugs. Carefully check the tapping depth and you can get them to "almost" flush.

TRAILREADYXJ
August 19th, 2017, 10:34
That's a huge plug!!! I use 1/8" NPT for drain plugs. Carefully check the tapping depth and you can get them to "almost" flush.

X2! You don't need a large drain plug at all. OX covers use 1/8"NPT for their drain hole.

srb531
August 19th, 2017, 13:08
i would tap a lower part of the housing thats more protected before the cover, but i dont mind pulling them & spraying brake cleaner in them.

whitexj98
August 19th, 2017, 16:02
IMO it's much better to pull the cover so you can look everything over, get a lublocker gasket and you can pull the cover over and over.

Jeep Driver
August 19th, 2017, 16:32
Teraflex comes with drain plug and is only $85

cal
August 19th, 2017, 18:56
https://teraflex.com/file/attachments/530294ee5ae5de02fc022f95.jpg

I see low pinion and high pinion fill holes.

I don't see a drain?

ehall
August 19th, 2017, 19:30
OP already have lubelockers? if not put the money on those instead.

Jeep Driver
August 19th, 2017, 23:38
http://i.imgur.com/4FpgoJY.jpg (http://imgur.com/4FpgoJY)

https://www.4wd.com/p/teraflex-dana-30-cast-iron-cover-3990630/_/R-FNNT-3990630?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping&emlprox=out&ppcfon=1&gp=1&scid=scplpTER3990630&sc_intid=TER3990630&gclid=CjwKCAjww9_MBRAWEiwAlaMJZpxo4zZGA1mXdf922BT7 REsEMPpeoywPQJk0lpnZompYi4tpvqfyYhoCfZwQAvD_BwE

cal
August 19th, 2017, 23:40
interesting.

their dana 44 diff cover does not have that drain hole, nor does the dana 60.

never thought to look at 30 stuff.

Jeep Driver
August 19th, 2017, 23:54
Cover the Scout logo with Jeep

Here are the 30 and 44 covers with drain plugs.

Fair price for each.

http://www.ihpartsamerica.com/store/CPT-DIFFY-CVR.html?gclid=CjwKCAjww9_MBRAWEiwAlaMJZjEfjfpjK1a asW-I2ngGYiAt3watNF21Zj5ivr8yWqHDMOc4G_EqVxoCQcYQAvD_B wE

ehall
August 20th, 2017, 07:32
G2 makes aluminum covers with drain plugs like those. I doubt the OP wants to replace his covers though.

techno1154
August 20th, 2017, 07:32
Cover the Scout logo with Jeep

Here are the 30 and 44 covers with drain plugs.

Fair price for each.

http://www.ihpartsamerica.com/store/CPT-DIFFY-CVR.html?gclid=CjwKCAjww9_MBRAWEiwAlaMJZjEfjfpjK1a asW-I2ngGYiAt3watNF21Zj5ivr8yWqHDMOc4G_EqVxoCQcYQAvD_B wE

These people are on to something here, something most other diff cover manufacturer need to emulate.

1) a large fill hole (most others have that).
2) a tell tale hole to let you know when the diff is full (needed).
3) a magnetized drain plug (that is a double lottery winner).

:worship:

There are some very informative posts here. Thanks guys.

Evan03
August 20th, 2017, 08:27
I just got covers for mine i thought for about 2 seconds and decided i seem to drag that part on rocks so id rather not have a hoke there.

Ive tapped cummins exhaust manifolds so id assume this would be no problem if you realy want the plug

Johnnie Walker
August 28th, 2017, 01:54
That is a definite concern for me. There is no straight spot on the bottom that will make it easy to do with basic hand tools. I guess a machine shop should be able to hold it in a fixture and drill it good enough to be able to have it tapped to accept a 3/8" pipe plug. A recessed head plug should not be too obtrusive,....I think.

I will ponder over this for my next oil change.I would say to do it proper, drill a hole weld in a threaded bung.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

lazyxj
August 31st, 2017, 01:13
interesting.
their dana 44 diff cover does not have that drain hole, nor does the dana 60.
never thought to look at 30 stuff.

My 8.25 has a Riddler.
Looking at it, it would seem that having and using a drain would leave some oil, and any debris that is sitting at the bottom of the case, behind, as well as whatever the magnet has attracted.
I like to look at the pattern and to check the carrier bolt's torque, when changing the fluid.
Leaving the cover alone and, instead, using a Lubelocker gasket might be a better way to go, if quick and frequent fluid changes are needed.
An 1/8" plug would be useful in draining most of fluid out before pulling the cover.