• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AAARGH, They are multiplying(engine swap)

w_howey

NAXJA Forum User
I got a call from my Dad, yelling about another Jeep sitting beside the building he lets me use to contain stuff on the farm.

I get there, and an 85 XJ is sitting near the shed(I don't own one)
I get to looking at it, and the title and a note is on the front seat.

Turns out this XJ is from a guy, who saw a bunch of my friends over there, having a wrench party. He told him he had one with a dead motor, and wanted rid of it. One of my friends, told him to throw the title in it, and drop it off at the farm. I would get rid of it. He told them, he was hoping for a little money, and would give me a call.

Anyhow, I have a 85 four-cylinder that is garbage. What can I swap in with little trouble, and not much cash outlay.

For only a little trouble, you are likely looking at rebuilding the four-popper already in there (which can be done better than the V6 you should be glad you don't have!) or find a GMC V6-60 RWD - either a 3.1 or a 3.4 (both of which are immensely better than the 2.8!) Since those two are in the same family as the 2.8RWD, they should be a pretty easy swap - as long as you get all the donor electronics as well (both the 3.1 and 3.4 are FI motors.)

For a little more trouble, AA makes a drop-in mount kit to use a SBChevvy engine, but you will be looking at a transmission/tcase(?)/driveshaft swap, and considering an axle swap in the near future.

If it were mine, I'd look for an S10 3.1 or 3.4 in a boneyard for a starting point.

5-90

Thanks!, So the GM motors will fit! Cool, I think dad might have an old S-10 sitting around there somewhere.

Yup - the GM V6-60 REAR WHEEL DRIVE will fit up - the front wheel drive motors have the starter boss on the wrong side and won't fly.

If it's a 2.8, I'd not bother putting it in. For that, you're better off revamping the AMC2.5 you already have. If it's 3.1 or 3.4, then go for it!

5-90

NOOOOOOooooo!

Not an OLD[/i] S-10. Read again what 5-90 wrote. You categorically do NOT want an S-10 2.8L V-6 in there. Only if the S-10 has a 3.4L should you consider it.

Frankly, I think your best approach would be to rebuild the 4-banger.

I know the 2.8l is not a good motor.

But, all I am looking at is, get it running and getting rid of it. My storage building is full, Dad is on my case about the other two 'parts/projects out behind the building. I still have to find out exactly if this guy wants this gone, or is intrested in fixing it.

5-90 said:
If it were mine, I'd look for an S10 3.1 or 3.4 in a boneyard for a starting point.
NOT from an S-10 at all.

Looking at my Haynes '82-'93 S-10 manual:

Chevy only offered the V6 in 2.8 size for the S-10, up until '91.

At that time chevy switched to the 4.3 V6 (90*, 3/4 of a 350, but with a balance shaft added).

The only source for RWD 3.4 V6's (60*) is the Camaro/Firebird.
I'm not sure, but I think the 3.1 was never even offered in RWD version for cambird.

Chevy offers left-over cambird RWD 3.4 long blocks as crate replacements for 2.8's, but it's not likely you'd find an S-10 with this mod.

I agree with the others, that your best bet is to rebuild the 2.5 I-4.

-Rick

Back