• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rudd Stuff Spring Perch Question

OkieXJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Hi,
I'm preparing to swap an 8.8 into my 91 XJ so I bought the Ruff Stuff 8.8 kit. I mocked them up but the spring perches don't fit down onto the axle tubes because they have little protrusions. Without those, they look like they would fit great. What am I missing? Should I grind them off? I measured the tube diameter and confirmed I had the right part number with Ruff Stuff before ordering. Thanks.
Mwbw5xy.jpg

Grind to fit, but remember to bevel the edges back!

If I remember correctly, those protrusions are there so it can also fit a smaller diameter tube.

Just make sure, like was said, you bevel the weld area since you wont have the bumps to give you the weld gap.

Great. Thanks for the tip to bevel for welding, I'll be sure to do that. I have a good welder I plan to enlist to help also.

I agree to grind the nubs off to fit the tube.

I disagree with beveling the perches. It is a fillet weld, not a butt weld. I fit steel for a living. I've never seen a print call out beveling for a fillet joint. Use a welding machine with sufficient amperage to burn in a good weld. I used a Hobart Handler 187, a 220v machine that puts out 185 amps max. Burned them in nice and hot, wrapped the ends as best I could get the MIG gun in there.

If you choose to bevel the perches, then I would suggest two passes to get a good sized fillet weld. One in, one over. At that point I would be concerned about putting too much heat into the tubes and warping them.

Back