PDA

View Full Version : Engine Swap Into a Jeep Comanche?

Francesco
August 4th, 2017, 17:03
Hey everyone,
I've been thinking about an engine swap on my Jeep Comanche for a while now, however being in California makes that really difficult to accomplish. I actually built 70% of a stroker, but ended up selling it to a buddy because I wanted to go a different route. I then was planning on getting an OM617 from a Mercedes 300D, however apparently in California the engine has to come from a newer year car, and my truck being a 1990 and the Benz being made only until 1985, that probably won't work. I was then looking into the OM606, which is considered a definite upgrade to the OM617, however there's not much on the internet about that one, is there a reason why that is? Anything helps. I would LIKE to swap a diesel, and kind of have my mind set on that, but I suppose it can still be changed. But - on the topic of the OM606, is there any information out there?
Thanks

Jeep Driver
August 4th, 2017, 17:11
There have been several diesel swaps over at Comancheclub.com check in over there.

Francesco
August 4th, 2017, 17:46
Hello,
I've been scanning all the forums, and I haven't seen much in the way of the OM606 in a Jeep XJ. I've seen ONE in a new JK, but that's about it. I still MAY do an OM617, and either illegally smog it, or find a way around the engine year law, but from what I've read, the OM606 is only an inch longer, and makes WAY more power, and with a fuel pump swap can still be 100% mechanical, I'm just curious why nobody has done it.

Anak
August 4th, 2017, 18:23
I don't know about the Mercedes options, but are you aware of the Cummins "Re-Power" that is supposed to become available this fall?

If (and for that I am waiting to see the CARB EO docs) what is being said currently works out to be actual rules, the Re-Power will be legal for '94 and below.

Might be worth looking into.

Francesco
August 5th, 2017, 14:50
That's good to know. Do you have any idea if the Repower will require biannual smogging, as if the diesel being swapped in was newer than 97? I have narrowed my search down to a OM606 out of a 1997 mercedes, as it is newer, makes great power and mpg, is 100% mechanical(with a fuel injection pump swap), and will no longer require me to be smogged, or this repower, as it also sounds like a viable option, as long as its not too expensive.

Jeep Driver
August 5th, 2017, 16:08
That's good to know. Do you have any idea if the Repower will require biannual smogging, as if the diesel being swapped in was newer than 97? I have narrowed my search down to a OM606 out of a 1997 mercedes, as it is newer, makes great power and mpg, is 100% mechanical(with a fuel injection pump swap), and will no longer require me to be smogged, or this repower, as it also sounds like a viable option, as long as its not too expensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo5OZELKaVw

$6K from what I hear.