PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a winch

volumeknob
July 26th, 2017, 10:08
Hey guys, new here but not new to forums in general. I'm looking for a winch for my 98 XJ, 4-1/2" of lift on 33's. I'll be mostly trail riding, some rocks and mud will be in the future for sure, just a little bit of everything. I found a Warn XD9000i with hand controller on a hitch mount bracket, all of it like new for $700. It would be $13-1,400 new. I'm just curious if there's something else better for that kind of coin, after digging around this seems like a lot to spend on a used winch. I have provisions on my bumper for a winch but love the idea of taking it on and off or being able to put it on the back or front for recovery purposes. I'd also have to create a way to attach a fairlead to the bumper or winch if I mounted one on the bumper. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks guys!

RCP Phx
July 26th, 2017, 10:15
It's a great winch, I have the same set-up on my 2k. But use/condition can only be seen by you, the price is "reasonable"!

volumeknob
July 26th, 2017, 11:28
I feel it's reasonable, not by any stretch a deal. Just curious if the $300 HF 12k or a Smittybuilt 12k would be a better choice. Let the stone throwing begin ;) LOL

trippled
July 26th, 2017, 12:15
I feel it's reasonable, not by any stretch a deal. Just curious if the $300 HF 12k or a Smittybuilt 12k would be a better choice. Let the stone throwing begin ;) LOL

I'd say that depends on your intended use. Heavy use, I'd personally stay away from the HF. Imo, id want a quality winch I can depend on.

volumeknob
July 26th, 2017, 12:41
I'd say that depends on your intended use. Heavy use, I'd personally stay away from the HF. Imo, id want a quality winch I can depend on.

Right and that's the advice most folks follow. It's not going to see heavy use at all but I'd hate to be out wheeling and have an issue. This can be said for any brand though which is why it's a roll of the dice either way.

burntkat
July 26th, 2017, 14:03
I've got the HF winches- both the old and the new sorts- and they work just fine for my needs.

I am not a winch challenge competitor. I am not sponsored. Most importantly, when it comes to that much energy on a line I am NOT in a darn hurry.

YMMV. This works for me.

lawagoneer
July 26th, 2017, 22:20
I have the XD9000I on my XJ but in the front bumper. I got mine for free but not working. All it took was a solenoid to get working. Mine is a very early one by its serial number. Warn winches are top of the line. They still support almost every winch they ever made. I have a winch mostly for errands on our family farm. I trail ride and mud some as well. But when I need a winch I want it to work. Warn has a reputation of almost always working. Is the price good for you, only you can decide. Is it a good setup at a good price I would say yes.

Jeepguy91
July 27th, 2017, 06:08
I have a smittybuilt 8k on my jeep. Have had it for almost 8 or 9 years now. Never really had a problem out of it. In the future i will be looking into going with a warn winch and the smittybuilt will be put on car trailer. Only reason i am wanting a new one is because i want one a little newer and little more pulling power. If your not gonna use a winch that often i say save a little money and go with a cheaper one. Thats just my opinion.

Green XJ Jeep
July 27th, 2017, 07:44
If the XD9000I is in near new condition. No you arent going to find a better deal for the same money.

volumeknob
July 27th, 2017, 08:11
I'm looking at the Smittybilt XRC 9.5K Gen 2 for around the same price as the HF 9k. 4WD.com offers 10% off for a first time customer, but I can't use the code on Smittybilt.... The only thing I like about the HF is I can get one locally if I have an issue vs. the rest that would have to be boxed up and shipped off on my dime. Obviously this doesn't mean much if I'm buried out on a trail but that's with any winch. In my opinion $700 is a lot to spend on something that I'm not going to use much. It's a fair price but I can do the same thing at half the price which means more funds for actual parts I need to make my XJ reliable. What your guys thoughts?

burntkat
July 27th, 2017, 08:18
I'm looking at the Smittybilt XRC 9.5K Gen 2 for around the same price as the HF 9k. 4WD.com offers 10% off for a first time customer, but I can't use the code on Smittybilt.... The only thing I like about the HF is I can get one locally if I have an issue vs. the rest that would have to be boxed up and shipped off on my dime. Obviously this doesn't mean much if I'm buried out on a trail but that's with any winch. In my opinion $700 is a lot to spend on something that I'm not going to use much. It's a fair price but I can do the same thing at half the price which means more funds for actual parts I need to make my XJ reliable. What your guys thoughts?

Buy the HF. Is it the best? No. Are you winching for a job, or as a 4X4 challenge competitor? No.

Having limited funds, and limited need for a winch, buy a less expensive winch.

Even if you buy the Best Winch EVAR, slow down when using it. Think about what you're doing. Learn how to recover vehicles safely. Lookup FM 20-22, US Army Vehicle Recovery Operations, on Google (it's freely available several places). Learn it. You'll recover smarter, safer, once you study up on it.

and don't ever let Bubba Bucknuts strap a chain to your vehicle and then yank you out. GREAT way to kill someone.

EDIT to say: Believe it or not, EVERY wheeled or tracked vehicle already has a winch. Can you figure it out? If not, you need to get FM20-22.. a hard copy would be an excellent thing to keep in the Jeep.

volumeknob
July 27th, 2017, 08:43
Buy the HF. Is it the best? No. Are you winching for a job, or as a 4X4 challenge competitor? No.

Having limited funds, and limited need for a winch, buy a less expensive winch.

Even if you buy the Best Winch EVAR, slow down when using it. Think about what you're doing. Learn how to recover vehicles safely. Lookup FM 20-22, US Army Vehicle Recovery Operations, on Google (it's freely available several places). Learn it. You'll recover smarter, safer, once you study up on it.

and don't ever let Bubba Bucknuts strap a chain to your vehicle and then yank you out. GREAT way to kill someone.

EDIT to say: Believe it or not, EVERY wheeled or tracked vehicle already has a winch. Can you figure it out? If not, you need to get FM20-22.. a hard copy would be an excellent thing to keep in the Jeep.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction on the recovery operations, that's more important than picking out a winch in my opinion. I've been diggin around but didn't know about the FM 20-22. I'm all about doing it safely, maybe I'm weird for wanting to come home alive :cheers:

burntkat
July 27th, 2017, 09:03
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction on the recovery operations, that's more important than picking out a winch in my opinion. I've been diggin around but didn't know about the FM 20-22. I'm all about doing it safely, maybe I'm weird for wanting to come home alive :cheers:

:thumbsup:

I first encountered that book as a Grunt in the 218th Heavy Separate Brigade. I have a copy floating around somewhere, am going to track down another to throw in the Jeep.

volumeknob
July 27th, 2017, 09:08
:thumbsup:

I first encountered that book as a Grunt in the 218th Heavy Separate Brigade. I have a copy floating around somewhere, am going to track down another to throw in the Jeep.

It's a healthy PDF document but worth going through. I dated a gal a few years back and her dad ran recovery back in the 80's, he always had some good stories about driving rigs out in swamps and coming back to round up the guys to pull it out. They soaked up every second of it, literally!

burntkat
July 27th, 2017, 09:09
Here, I made it easy for you... on this site you can find every FM ;) :
http://everyspec.com/ARMY/FM-Field-Manual/

volumeknob
July 27th, 2017, 09:48
Here, I made it easy for you... on this site you can find every FM ;) :
http://everyspec.com/ARMY/FM-Field-Manual/

That's a solid site, they have a ton of good info.

Heavyopp
July 27th, 2017, 21:21
I have a harbor freight 12k new in box -- bought it a few weeks ago on sale -- $279 I think -- I was intending it for my suburban but am really thinking it may work well on the XJ

It's a heavy beast though

Anyone know how the HF 12K compares weight wise to a warn 9K?

Green XJ Jeep
July 27th, 2017, 21:53
I have a harbor freight 12k new in box -- bought it a few weeks ago on sale -- $279 I think -- I was intending it for my suburban but am really thinking it may work well on the XJ

They both are around 85lbs.

Wykydtron95xj
July 28th, 2017, 05:08
Does anyone have experience with the rough country winches? They seem decently priced. I assume they are a rebrand of another manufacturer.

lawagoneer
July 28th, 2017, 19:05
Like most winches they are made in China, most work fine, some don't. I'm not knocking them as most brands have at least some parts made in China. It's all about how you feel. I had my Warn given to me or I would probably have one of the less prominent brands on my Jeep as Warn prices are really high. You do seem to get what you pay for though. Here's a link to a winch shootout, it's several years old but is interesting none the less.
http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/129-1107-massive-multi-winch-shootout/

Rick.rob
July 28th, 2017, 21:19
I bought a rough country 9500lb from there eBay scratch and dent store. As far as I can tell it had never been out of the box, granted I paid more for a synthetic line then I did for the winch. Everytime I have had to use it works great, not the fastest that I have seen but it has never left me stranded or needing someone else to recover my Jeep.

denverd1
July 31st, 2017, 12:19
bought an Engo about 5 years ago. the Four Wheeler Mag winch shootout had a lot to do with my decision. I've only used it a handful of times, but it's fast, power efficient and definitely pulls every bit of it's rating. works great for what I do with it. bought a 10k for under $400. would definitely buy it again.

skip the remote and hard wire a switch on your dash.

volumeknob
August 3rd, 2017, 13:35
Do you guys see any value in being able to drive 10 minutes down the road to get a new winch, if needed? I see value in this by purchasing a HF winch with their warranty. I could spend 3-500 on a new or used winch and it takes a puke a month later. I'd be stuck shipping it back on my dime or repairing it myself. Being able to exchange at any HF is a consideration I feel some overlook? Just weighing the risks, I'm not partial to any brand.

denverd1
August 3rd, 2017, 15:36
IMO when you need your winch, there's no driving down the road. you're stuck. and your winch just crapped out. hopefully you're not alone, 5 miles from the trailhead with a broken axle or bent tie rod.

exchanging a winch never crossed my mind until you mentioned it

RCP Phx
August 3rd, 2017, 16:24
More than that! When you have to trust your life on one!

burntkat
August 4th, 2017, 07:11
Do you guys see any value in being able to drive 10 minutes down the road to get a new winch, if needed? I see value in this by purchasing a HF winch with their warranty. I could spend 3-500 on a new or used winch and it takes a puke a month later. I'd be stuck shipping it back on my dime or repairing it myself. Being able to exchange at any HF is a consideration I feel some overlook? Just weighing the risks, I'm not partial to any brand.

That's similar to my situation, and exactly why I did that.

The HF winches- both old and new- have given me no trouble.

burntkat
August 4th, 2017, 07:13
IMO when you need your winch, there's no driving down the road. you're stuck. and your winch just crapped out. hopefully you're not alone, 5 miles from the trailhead with a broken axle or bent tie rod.

Well, there are other ways to get a vehicle out. If you have a winch one can assume you have a hilift- it, too, is a winch.

for that matter, you have winches mounted on every vehicle. They're called tires.
Sometimes you have to be creative. Again I'll refer back to FM 20-22. It is quite literally, the Vehicle Recovery Bible. If you're this worried about getting stuck, there ought to be a copy of this in your glovebox, and you should have read it already.

EDIT: Because I'm a nice guy- here's a copy for $8.60, shipped to your door:
https://www.ebay.com/i/160942678178?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Disclaimer- not me, not my auction. I just bought one, myself, to put in my son's XJ.

Green XJ Jeep
August 4th, 2017, 07:29
I all is going to depend upon usage and exactly how much your going to trust i cheap knock off winch.
I have a 8274 that i bought 30 years ago and have abused the living heck out and it still runs like a champ. Meanwhile i dont even remotely expect my T-Max/CSI to live that long or to tolertate that much abuse.

volumeknob
August 4th, 2017, 07:38

I agree with you but this scenario can happen with any brand. I think I'm going to keep looking for a good used Warn.

VAhasnoWAVES
August 4th, 2017, 07:44

i bought the smittybuilt 9500 pound winch with rope for 350.

lighter, smaller, and faster line speed then a comparable warn or superwinch. i did a ton of researching comparing a lot of winches... motor size, gearing, construction, etc. and it just so happened that the one i felt fit my needs/usage best was also fairly cheap. has been problem free for 2 years now. the advantage of rope far outweighs the extra pulling power. its literally 70 pounds less hanging off the front of the vehicle compared to cable. these arent full size trucks either. if 9500# isnt enough, a snatch block picks up the slack very cheap and easily.

no... i see an advantage in my stuff working if and when i need it. it should not fail. you should be checking and prepping your equipment routinely and before and after a significant trip. a warranty will not make up for ones lack of preparation in the event that they need the equipment.

More than that! When you have to trust your life on one!
this. ive done this.

even when you are confident in your equipment, its terrifying.

volumeknob
August 4th, 2017, 07:52
i bought the smittybuilt 9500 pound winch with rope for 350.

lighter, smaller, and faster line speed then a comparable warn or superwinch. i did a ton of researching comparing a lot of winches... motor size, gearing, construction, etc. and it just so happened that the one i felt fit my needs/usage best was also fairly cheap. has been problem free for 2 years now. the advantage of rope far outweighs the extra pulling power. its literally 70 pounds less hanging off the front of the vehicle compared to cable. these arent full size trucks either. if 9500# isnt enough, a snatch block picks up the slack very cheap and easily.

no... i see an advantage in my stuff working if and when i need it. it should not fail. you should be checking and prepping your equipment routinely and before and after a significant trip. a warranty will not make up for ones lack of preparation in the event that they need the equipment.

this. ive done this.

even when you are confident in your equipment, its terrifying.

I'll check out the Smittybilt line up too, thanks. I agree with you on prepping and maintaining the equipment pre and post trip, this prevents a lot of headache just like with most things. What experiences have you guys had that make it terrifying? btw it's Friday! :cheers:

VAhasnoWAVES
August 4th, 2017, 08:46
I'll check out the Smittybilt line up too, thanks. I agree with you on prepping and maintaining the equipment pre and post trip, this prevents a lot of headache just like with most things. What experiences have you guys had that make it terrifying? btw it's Friday! :cheers:

broken an chromoly axle shaft on a ridge line wheeling royal blue... 2 feet on the side of each tire. 100ft down one way, 700 ft down the other. pulled the winch tight to a tree to steady the jeep while i worked on it. come to find out my spare shaft didnt fit properly so i had to roll out i 3wd. even after getting moving, my front diff got hung up, something that 4wd would have pushed through. the rear end was breaking traction and wanting to slide uncomfortably close to the edge. so out came the winch again to slowly work pull over what was hanging me up.

that was the day i found out i hate ridges.

RCP Phx
August 4th, 2017, 08:53
What experiences have you guys had that make it terrifying?

How about hanging off the side of a mountain with about another 4-500' it could fall! I wouldn't even get out of my Jeep in fear of upsetting any weight transfer. I had someone else pull out my cable and hook it up so I could at least get a anchor point on so it wouldn't fall/slide any further!

denverd1
August 4th, 2017, 09:01
Well, there are other ways to get a vehicle out. If you have a winch one can assume you have a hilift- it, too, is a winch.

for that matter, you have winches mounted on every vehicle. They're called tires.
Sometimes you have to be creative. Again I'll refer back to FM 20-22. It is quite literally, the Vehicle Recovery Bible. If you're this worried about getting stuck, there ought to be a copy of this in your glovebox, and you should have read it already.

Disclaimer- not me, not my auction. I just bought one, myself, to put in my son's XJ.

cool! look forward to reading it. love learning new recovery methods.

But I still don't want a crappy winch!!

denverd1
August 4th, 2017, 09:42
guy in local club has HF 10K I believe. sent him a message yesterday. his response:

Yes, I have probably made over 100 pull with it at this point. Other people say Harbor Freight winches are slow, but I have nothing to base it off of. I have never broken anything on it yet. The only issue I have ever had is the thermal overprotective will kick in and I have to let the winch cool down. I've only had that happen when pulling very heavy people (3/4 ton trucks) out of the mud. Since then, I started using a snatch block to double up and have not had any issues. I would have absolutely no problem whatsoever recommending the winch to anyone.

Maybe it's not a crappy winch....

Heavyopp
August 4th, 2017, 10:15

Just ordered one... Thanks

Like I said, I have a HF 12K new in box -- I'm going to run it

I've read plenty of good reviews on the 12k

burntkat
August 4th, 2017, 10:22
guy in local club has HF 10K I believe. sent him a message yesterday. his response:

Yes, I have probably made over 100 pull with it at this point. Other people say Harbor Freight winches are slow, but I have nothing to base it off of. I have never broken anything on it yet. The only issue I have ever had is the thermal overprotective will kick in and I have to let the winch cool down. I've only had that happen when pulling very heavy people (3/4 ton trucks) out of the mud. Since then, I started using a snatch block to double up and have not had any issues. I would have absolutely no problem whatsoever recommending the winch to anyone.

Maybe it's not a crappy winch....

Hmm, this sounds familiar.. when have I heard this before?

;P

denverd1
August 4th, 2017, 10:33
Hmm, this sounds familiar.. when have I heard this before?

;P

Not following you... verbatim response from a guy who's running the exact winch in question. Whats your point??

ehall
August 4th, 2017, 10:41
HF is slower with a shorter duty cycle (shorter pulls and longer cool down). I personally don't trust them to make a solid brake, but I have no evidence that its bad.

The Smittybilt X2O are waterproof. Used mine 20+ times last year, including holding the jeep on the side of a hill while I changed a tire (jeep slid off the jacks without the winch).

volumeknob
August 6th, 2017, 11:13
What do you guys think of the Smittybilt XRC-9.5K? Is jumping up to the X2O worth the extra reliability wise? Wireless seems neat but not sure how it holds up like a corded one.

ehall
August 6th, 2017, 13:53
Main buying point for the X2O is the waterproofing

burntkat
August 7th, 2017, 07:20
What do you guys think of the Smittybilt XRC-9.5K? Is jumping up to the X2O worth the extra reliability wise? Wireless seems neat but not sure how it holds up like a corded one.

I put wireless winch controllers right up there with wireless auxiliary controllers....

"It's neat-o, but when in hell would I ever actually need this?"

volumeknob
August 7th, 2017, 09:20
I put wireless winch controllers right up there with wireless auxiliary controllers....

"It's neat-o, but when in hell would I ever actually need this?"

Right and I'm an electrical guy (car audio & home theater) so I'll just wire up a switch somewhere on the center console. Think I'm going to get the XRC 9.5. I can grab it for $270 today with a coupon and free shipping.

Stupid question: What's the difference between a "tow strap" and "tree saver"? Can a tow strap be used for recover around a tree?

4WD.com offers the XRC with a tow strap and some shackles for a few extra bux which I need anyhow.

What straps and shackles do you guys like?

Green XJ Jeep
August 7th, 2017, 09:39
Tow straps are much longer than a tree saver. Ideally you do not want to wrap a strap all the way around a tree or several times around a tree . The twisting motion of the strap as it tightens up will destroy the cambium layer of the tree

volumeknob
August 7th, 2017, 09:42
Tow straps are much longer than a tree saver. Ideally you do not want to wrap a strap all the way around a tree or several times around a tree . The twisting motion of the strap as it tightens up will destroy the cambium layer of the tree

Good to know, I'll keep that in mind when treading lightly on the trails.

VAhasnoWAVES
August 7th, 2017, 10:49
wireless winch controller is really nice. i would say it is more useful than winch controls on the dash.

volumeknob
August 7th, 2017, 12:09
Looks like a royal pain if you ever have to replace the battery. Also the fairlead doesn't attach to the Smittybilt winches, which I need it to. Or am I missing something here? I might need to make a plate that goes under the winch that'll come out in front to bolt up the fairlead?

denverd1
August 7th, 2017, 12:12
wireless winch controller is really nice. i would say it is more useful than winch controls on the dash.

Who's driving the jeep while you stand outside of it with a remote in your hand??

volumeknob
August 7th, 2017, 12:22
I did some more digging on the Smittybilt XRC and X2O and the reviews scare me more than the wheeling stories you guys shared LOL. This doesn't seem to line up with your experiences but the internet is a rather large sample pool.

VAhasnoWAVES
August 7th, 2017, 13:24
Who's driving the jeep while you stand outside of it with a remote in your hand??
you can operate a wireless remote in the cab.
you can operate a wireless remote outside the cab.
you can operate a wired remote in the cab.
you can operate a wired remote outside the cab.

see where im going with this?
you cant operate dash controls outside the cab.

volumeknob
August 7th, 2017, 13:35

see where im going with this?
you cant operate dash controls outside the cab.

I got ya and would run both to be honest. Wired remote and switch inside. I have everything to do the one inside, so it'll cost me some time but that's it.

VAhasnoWAVES
August 7th, 2017, 13:38
velcro a wireless remote on your dash... keep the wired remote as a back up.

there are write up on how to integrate cheap amazon and HF wireless remotes into your solenoid.

volumeknob
August 7th, 2017, 14:35
velcro a wireless remote on your dash... keep the wired remote as a back up.

there are write up on how to integrate cheap amazon and HF wireless remotes into your solenoid.

I'll look around for that, thanks man!

volumeknob
August 7th, 2017, 14:46
What do you guys think of these? http://www.jeepswag.com/shop/shop/recovery/58-5-ton-wll-alloy-shackle-with-alloy-pin-2/

VAhasnoWAVES
August 7th, 2017, 19:17
Looks like a royal pain if you ever have to replace the battery. Also the fairlead doesn't attach to the Smittybilt winches, which I need it to. Or am I missing something here? I might need to make a plate that goes under the winch that'll come out in front to bolt up the fairlead?
i bought a harbor freight winch plate, cut it up, and welded it to my bumper.

https://www.harborfreight.com/universal-channel-winch-mount-90476.html

https://scontent.fdtw1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14192531_1069819563072459_3531862230034613900_n.jp g?oh=c45f11985b3632980112b7762ccbefa7&oe=5A2FD8BE

https://scontent.fdtw1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14199736_1069819599739122_5078619635860988491_n.jp g?oh=62a7bdfdc09f4db148732051e84b1c0b&oe=59F999FD

https://scontent.fdtw1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14364724_1074917395896009_4088522480500896963_n.jp g?oh=12737d26d2089c5a90254993b05de88f&oe=5A32F796

volumeknob
August 7th, 2017, 20:04
I have a mount on the bumper I have but no fair lead mount. The bumper came with the jeep so no sure the PO had in mind there. I'll just have to find a winch plate that'll work, no biggie.

Think I'm going to pull the trigger on a Warn M8000 new for $497 shipped. I have to decide by midnight, sale ends lol.

Green XJ Jeep
August 7th, 2017, 20:46
I have a mount on the bumper I have but no fair lead mount. The bumper came with the jeep so no sure the PO had in mind there. I'll just have to find a winch plate that'll work, no biggie.

Think I'm going to pull the trigger on a Warn M8000 new for $497 shipped. I have to decide by midnight, sale ends lol.

http://www.logansmetal4x4.com/fairleadmount.html

ehall
August 7th, 2017, 21:31

My X20 the advantage of wireless is I don't have to run the wire over the hood and through the window. Seems trivial but its important.

Only real issue with it is the battery doesn't hold a charge between my wheeling trips. Rarely get to use the wireless capability.

volumeknob
August 8th, 2017, 07:24
Well I ended up splurging on the Warn M8000, couldn't pass it up for the price. Also picked up a kinetic style recovery rope from a guy that sells them around the corner from my place. Same supplier as Bubba Rope so I'm sure it'll be just fine. Just need some shackles, thinking about going with the rope kind but what do you guys like?

denverd1
August 8th, 2017, 08:44
My X20 the advantage of wireless is I don't have to run the wire over the hood and through the window. Seems trivial but its important.

Only real issue with it is the battery doesn't hold a charge between my wheeling trips. Rarely get to use the wireless capability.

never used mine on consecutive trips. ALWAYS a dead battery.

I get that there are more "options" with a remote, just not worth it to me.

sounds like a good deal on a warn

burntkat
August 8th, 2017, 11:24

I think sliding is more a concern, but that's a good point I hadn't thought about. Good to know, I will add a few tree savers to my collection.

BTW- HF has straps and tree savers. Yes, it's HF, and so obviously crap, yadayadayada .. but it probably comes out of the same factory, and it's hard to screw up a strap. I've done some pretty good pulls with mine and have no issues with them.

burntkat
August 8th, 2017, 11:27
I got ya and would run both to be honest. Wired remote and switch inside. I have everything to do the one inside, so it'll cost me some time but that's it.

I cut off a section of electrical cable (extension cord) and used that to run quick and easy to the winch solenoid pack, all in one jacket. Worked quick and easy.

burntkat
August 8th, 2017, 11:29
Just need some shackles, thinking about going with the rope kind but what do you guys like?

What is a "rope kind" of shackle?

I'm honestly asking, not sure what you mean. Do you mean a bow shackle??

volumeknob
August 8th, 2017, 15:26
What is a "rope kind" of shackle?

I'm honestly asking, not sure what you mean. Do you mean a bow shackle??

They're a rope style instead of metal, less lethal if a break occurs. Look like this: http://www.unsealed4x4.com.au/gator-jaw-soft-shackles/

They seem to be legit, just kind pricey for what it compares to in forged steel bow shackles.

trippled
August 8th, 2017, 19:56
They're a rope style instead of metal, less lethal if a break occurs. Look like this: http://www.unsealed4x4.com.au/gator-jaw-soft-shackles/

They seem to be legit, just kind pricey for what it compares to in forged steel bow shackles.

For a bumper mount a steel shackle is fine. I think the real benefit would be if you had to connect 2 straps together or hooking to a tree saver, you no longer have a large projectile if something let's go. I plan on buying some for that reason alone.

burntkat
August 9th, 2017, 08:06
Very interesting product. Thanks for the info!

volumeknob
August 9th, 2017, 11:29
So what 2" hitch winch mount do you guys like or have experience with? I've decided to go this route so it can be used on the front or the back and can be taken off and out of the weather when I'm not wheeling.

lawagoneer
August 9th, 2017, 12:18
First great buy on the Warn, you will not be disappointed. My Warn is close to 30 years old, I got it not working but only needed 1 selonoid to fix it. Warn backs up its winches better than anyone I know of. Mine is mounted to my front bumper as it was on the vehicle I got it off. Never babied, worked hard and still runs like new. That being said I understand the attraction to the receiver mounts if for theft prevention if nothing else. It's hard to steal a winch if it's not on the vehicle. Are you going to install a front receiver as well?

volumeknob
August 9th, 2017, 13:07
First great buy on the Warn, you will not be disappointed. My Warn is close to 30 years old, I got it not working but only needed 1 selonoid to fix it. Warn backs up its winches better than anyone I know of. Mine is mounted to my front bumper as it was on the vehicle I got it off. Never babied, worked hard and still runs like new. That being said I understand the attraction to the receiver mounts if for theft prevention if nothing else. It's hard to steal a winch if it's not on the vehicle. Are you going to install a front receiver as well?

Right, theft and weather are major things I considered just because I like to take care of my stuff but having the option of running it front or back is pretty nifty. I have a bumper that came with my 98 that has a 2" receiver welded into it already. There's a Reese receiver hitch out back with the steel stocker less the caps. Once I get the front bumper on and figure out my steering problem(s) I'll post some pics.

Green XJ Jeep
August 9th, 2017, 13:20
So what 2" hitch winch mount do you guys like or have experience with? I've decided to go this route so it can be used on the front or the back and can be taken off and out of the weather when I'm not wheeling.
I ran a drawtight i picked up from etrailer for 113 delivered.
Worked great tucked up under the bumper nice.

lawagoneer
August 9th, 2017, 19:41
Sounds like a great setup. I too thought about theft and replaced one of my winch bolts with a Factor 55 security bolt. Nothing will stop a determined theif but it would make the opportunist look for something easier. Pics when all is done would be great.

burntkat
August 10th, 2017, 07:13
I usually just weld a piece of angle over the bolts so that the thief would have to have a grinder as well. They'd have to remove the bumper first.

come down to it, a hammer and a screwdriver will get the whole darn vehicle if they really want it. With this in mind (and weather) I am designing the bumper for my S10 to have the winch covered but accessible with an access plate. Out of sight, out of mind.

Green XJ Jeep
August 10th, 2017, 07:43
Boostwerks needs to get busy and get that comp mount out. Behind the stock bumper with the fairlead tucked behind a license plate is pretty much "out of site out of mind".

volumeknob
August 10th, 2017, 10:09
Boostwerks needs to get busy and get that comp mount out. Behind the stock bumper with the fairlead tucked behind a license plate is pretty much "out of site out of mind".

I'm actually seriously considering their steering brace without the winch mount you're speaking of. Seems like the best solution on the market, just pricey. I could probably fabricate one but after time and materials, it's probably worth just buying so it's right.

ehall
August 10th, 2017, 10:42
hitch mounts rated for 5000 lb? not enough for me. I have an ATV winch on a tray for my dad's F150 to drag trees around (not lift them), way under spec for holding my XJ on a mountain

volumeknob
August 10th, 2017, 14:59
hitch mounts rated for 5000 lb? not enough for me. I have an ATV winch on a tray for my dad's F150 to drag trees around (not lift them), way under spec for holding my XJ on a mountain

The ones I've been looking at are rated for 9-12K, that sounds like one meant for a smaller capacity winch, which I've seen all over in my search.

Green XJ Jeep
August 10th, 2017, 15:01
Drawtites are 9000

ftwelder
August 10th, 2017, 20:06
I'm actually seriously considering their steering brace without the winch mount you're speaking of. Seems like the best solution on the market, just pricey. I could probably fabricate one but after time and materials, it's probably worth just buying so it's right.

I bought the Boostworks sector shaft support kit and it's super nice. I just need to cut, drill, tap some 5/8" plate for full sector overkill.

kcox506
August 11th, 2017, 10:01

You should look at the ironman4x4fab one if you haven't already. Does more than just brace the sector shaft.

volumeknob
August 11th, 2017, 10:08
You should look at the ironman4x4fab one if you haven't already. Does more than just brace the sector shaft.

I have looked at that one actually. What more does it do, I must be missing it? Are you referring to the straps going around the gear body itself?

volumeknob
August 11th, 2017, 10:10
I don't make a habit of bashing online but 4WD.com is a :mad::flamemad: JOKE! Long story short they've lost my business from here on out. You've been warned lol

kcox506
August 11th, 2017, 10:11
I have looked at that one actually. What more does it do, I must be missing it? Are you referring to the straps going around the gear body itself?

Yes I am. When you brace the sector shaft, play has to go somewhere so it goes to the box, then the box moves against lovely aged unibody. There will be a noticeable difference with out the clamp, but its not all gone. The clamp fixes that issue.

Mind you, you need make sure the box spacer isn't broken, thats sort of important lol.

Green XJ Jeep
August 11th, 2017, 10:17
I don't make a habit of bashing online but 4WD.com is a :mad::flamemad: JOKE! Long story short they've lost my business from here on out. You've been warned lol
What did we learn about supporting sponsors?
Just about any of our vendors can get you the same deal

volumeknob
August 11th, 2017, 10:36
Yes I am. When you brace the sector shaft, play has to go somewhere so it goes to the box, then the box moves against lovely aged unibody. There will be a noticeable difference with out the clamp, but its not all gone. The clamp fixes that issue.

Mind you, you need make sure the box spacer isn't broken, thats sort of important lol.

Good info to know, thanks for the breakdown. I'll check there's out. Seems like it would be easier to make something like that...

volumeknob
August 11th, 2017, 10:39
What did we learn about supporting sponsors?
Just about any of our vendors can get you the same deal

I'd support any vendor that can get me a Warn M8000 for $500. Who is it that you have in mind? I'll place the order today with them and cancel my order with 4WD. I'm weird :laugh3: and like supporting those on these forums and local guys. I bought a recovery rope from a guy 2 miles from my house, same as a Bubba rope. I'd rather put money in my neighbors pocket all day.

Green XJ Jeep
August 11th, 2017, 11:16
I'd support any vendor that can get me a Warn M8000 for $500. Who is it that you have in mind? I'll place the order today with them and cancel my order with 4WD. I'm weird :laugh3: and like supporting those on these forums and local guys. I bought a recovery rope from a guy 2 miles from my house, same as a Bubba rope. I'd rather put money in my neighbors pocket all day.

Quadratec price matches and am pretty sure Daves does also. Some of the other vendors more than likely will also.

I agree 100% on keeping your money local when you can.

volumeknob
August 11th, 2017, 11:39
Quadratec price matches and am pretty sure Daves does also. Some of the other vendors more than likely will also.

Well the deal I got wasn't a everyday price, they were having 10% off Warn and then 10% off site wide over the weekend, so I'm not sure how that would happen. If you have a member here I can PM then I'll do the leg work but I've been on the phone all morning, so I'm a little tuckered out.

Green XJ Jeep
August 11th, 2017, 20:39
Well the deal I got wasn't a everyday price, they were having 10% off Warn and then 10% off site wide over the weekend, so I'm not sure how that would happen. If you have a member here I can PM then I'll do the leg work but I've been on the phone all morning, so I'm a little tuckered out.

With the sitewide 10% thing they may not match but here is a post from
Quadratec http://www.naxja.org/forum/member.php?u=47373

"The majority of our Web Department own XJ's. They really push for any new XJ parts in the catalog and on the web.

We do price shop our competition now, and if a price is less elsewhere we do price match.

Also: We offer a forum discount to :NAXJA: members! For a discounted quote you can go about it 3 ways:

1) PM me with your first & last name, address, zip and the part numbers you would like to order. I'll reply back with a discounted quote if applicable. This takes 1-2 business days (or less) on average depending on PM volume.

2) E-mail my sales rep Rob at: RobW@quadratec.com (RobW@quadratec.com) Tell him you're a Forum user and would like a discounted quote. He'll get that going for you. He typically responds within hours if it's Mon-Fri 8am-5pm Eastern.

3) Call my sales line at 1-800-745-2348. Tell them you're a Forum user and would like to place an order with your Forum discount. Their hours are Mon-Thurs 8am-Midnight, Friday 8am-9pm, Saturday 9am-5pm.

Whichever you prefer works for us.

Thanks & have a great day!

-Rick"

Then there is DavesOffroadSupply http://www.naxja.org/forum/member.php?u=68839
Not sure if he price matches but doesn't hurt to ask.

trippled
August 12th, 2017, 08:23

Aren't quadratech and 4WD one in the same? They pissed me off so bad I've never bought anything from them ever again.

Green XJ Jeep
August 12th, 2017, 08:53
Aren't quadratech and 4WD one in the same? They pissed me off so bad I've never bought anything from them ever again.

Nope 4wd and 4wheelparts are the same

volumeknob
August 14th, 2017, 12:21
With the sitewide 10% thing they may not match but here is a post from
Quadratec http://www.naxja.org/forum/member.php?u=47373

"The majority of our Web Department own XJ's. They really push for any new XJ parts in the catalog and on the web.

We do price shop our competition now, and if a price is less elsewhere we do price match.

Also: We offer a forum discount to :NAXJA: members! For a discounted quote you can go about it 3 ways:

1) PM me with your first & last name, address, zip and the part numbers you would like to order. I'll reply back with a discounted quote if applicable. This takes 1-2 business days (or less) on average depending on PM volume.

2) E-mail my sales rep Rob at: RobW@quadratec.com (RobW@quadratec.com) Tell him you're a Forum user and would like a discounted quote. He'll get that going for you. He typically responds within hours if it's Mon-Fri 8am-5pm Eastern.

3) Call my sales line at 1-800-745-2348. Tell them you're a Forum user and would like to place an order with your Forum discount. Their hours are Mon-Thurs 8am-Midnight, Friday 8am-9pm, Saturday 9am-5pm.

Whichever you prefer works for us.

Thanks & have a great day!

-Rick"

Then there is DavesOffroadSupply http://www.naxja.org/forum/member.php?u=68839
Not sure if he price matches but doesn't hurt to ask.

Thanks for the info! I called Dave, he couldn't match and Quadratec's price is insane @ $727.19, so with the 10% not even close to $497 shipped. I will use this info in the future for Quadratec though, I've had good experiences with them so far.

volumeknob
August 14th, 2017, 12:22
Nope 4wd and 4wheelparts are the same

Thanks, now I know who else to stay away from :laugh:! It was unreal how unprofessional and unhelpful their customer service people were, they failed multiple times over the course of multiple days, lies and plenty of false promises. Live and learn!

Green XJ Jeep
August 14th, 2017, 13:16
7Thanks, now I know who else to stay away from :laugh:! It was unreal how unprofessional and unhelpful their customer service people were, they failed multiple times over the course of multiple days, lies and plenty of false promises. Live and learn!
I have a 4wheeparts local to me and have those experience at their retail location.
So far the best online retailer i have dealt woth is Morris

lawagoneer
August 14th, 2017, 16:51
I have a 4wheeparts local to me and have those experience at their retail location.
So far the best online retailer i have dealt woth is Morris

I agree, I've had great experience with Morris. Bought my front bumper from them. When I got it UPS had destroyed the packaging and lost parts. I sent them an email about what happened, no fauLtd of theirs, and they immediately sent my out the replacement parts at zero cost to me for anything.

volumeknob
August 28th, 2017, 12:44
I told you guys I'd keep my promise :)

What do you guys think of the solenoid box placement? It's the only spot I can put it, that'll clear that stupid hoop. I feel like keeping it faced down is best. Kinda sucks that I'd be loosing some approach angle but I like being able to take it off when I'm not wheeling.

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w517/volumeknob8810/IMG_5301_zpsixpbr3de.jpg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/volumeknob8810/media/IMG_5301_zpsixpbr3de.jpg.html)

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w517/volumeknob8810/IMG_5306_zpsmjampfdl.jpg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/volumeknob8810/media/IMG_5306_zpsmjampfdl.jpg.html)

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w517/volumeknob8810/IMG_5305_zpsnqx10rtc.jpg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/volumeknob8810/media/IMG_5305_zpsnqx10rtc.jpg.html)

I plan on adding a L bracket to capture the other mounting bolt you can see above

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w517/volumeknob8810/IMG_5308_zps36yetseb.jpg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/volumeknob8810/media/IMG_5308_zps36yetseb.jpg.html)

Green XJ Jeep
August 28th, 2017, 13:11
Photobucket strikes again

volumeknob
August 28th, 2017, 14:58
No workie?

Green XJ Jeep
August 28th, 2017, 15:04
Nope.
Unless you paid your extortion fee it isnt gonna

volumeknob
August 28th, 2017, 21:30
What do y'all use?

Green XJ Jeep
August 28th, 2017, 22:17
What do y'all use?

Imagur or tapatalk i believe is what most folks are using

volumeknob
August 29th, 2017, 07:54
http://i.imgur.com/jsoKVde.jpg

I decided to just mount it with the supplied brakcet in this orentation above.

Was going to do it like this below but didn't like the cables hanging from the bottom.

http://i.imgur.com/yms6O0U.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/IoLdvoW.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/LvH1yMu.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/U1vGHud.jpg

Hopefully these work. This was a rough mock up I did last week with the harbor freight hitch mount. The mount is pretty whimpy but I'm sure it'll be just fine.

dan1977p
August 29th, 2017, 09:04
http://i.imgur.com/jsoKVde.jpg

I decided to just mount it with the supplied brakcet in this orentation above.

Was going to do it like this below but didn't like the cables hanging from the bottom.

http://i.imgur.com/yms6O0U.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/IoLdvoW.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/LvH1yMu.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/U1vGHud.jpg

Hopefully these work. This was a rough mock up I did last week with the harbor freight hitch mount. The mount is pretty whimpy but I'm sure it'll be just fine.

I'd be super worried about the lack of protection. Why not mount it on the bumper in the holes provided so it's out of danger?

RCP Phx
August 29th, 2017, 09:08
That receiver tube mount looks scary(tied into sheetmetal), what do the bumper mounts look like? It might not be suitable/safe for winching.

volumeknob
August 29th, 2017, 09:24
I'd be super worried about the lack of protection. Why not mount it on the bumper in the holes provided so it's out of danger?

It has to be mounted to the hitch mount in some fashion so the winch remains removable. It's only rotated 90 degrees from where Warn tells you to mount it (on top of the motor) which is actually more vulnerable that how I have it now ( behind the motor).

volumeknob
August 29th, 2017, 09:27
That receiver tube mount looks scary(tied into sheetmetal), what do the bumper mounts look like? It might not be suitable/safe for winching.

The bumper mounts are 1/4" plate (3) holes per side and then it ties into the front cross section with (2) more bolts. The entire bumper is made from 1/4" plate from what I can tell. I'll take some pics of the mounts and the receiver tube.

dan1977p
August 29th, 2017, 09:45
It has to be mounted to the hitch mount in some fashion so the winch remains removable. It's only rotated 90 degrees from where Warn tells you to mount it (on top of the motor) which is actually more vulnerable that how I have it now ( behind the motor).

I wasn't talking about the controller, I meant the whole winch is a rock magnet sticking out like that. But, I also didn't know you wanted it removable so I guess you'll only have it on when you're winching and can control how much it's scraping on rocks easier than if you're driving around with it always mounted.

volumeknob
August 29th, 2017, 10:41
I wasn't talking about the controller, I meant the whole winch is a rock magnet sticking out like that. But, I also didn't know you wanted it removable so I guess you'll only have it on when you're winching and can control how much it's scraping on rocks easier than if you're driving around with it always mounted.

Oh ok, yeah it's not my first choice but If I'm heading towards an obstacle that's going to interfere, I'll just through it in the back. The hoop is kinda of a buzzkill too, didn't realize the angle of it until I had the bumper on. Most of the others I've seen, it's much more vertical tipped back towards the grill.

VAhasnoWAVES
August 29th, 2017, 11:09
i understand the merit in having it removable, but here is my thing... ive been stuck a lot of time where just getting the receiver into the bumper would just not be possible, forward or back. ive also been in situations where i needed to get to the winch line QUICKLY to secure a vehicle in a dangerous situation. when you REALLY need a winch... you are going to wish it was mounted onto the bumper. but thats an arguement im sure somone has made to you. i also would not want to be under the hood trying to make electrical connection and keep 4AWG out of danger. furthermore, i shortened all my leads... at full load those long leads provide a ton of resistance. winches can pool a ton of amperage. even with upgraded main cables and a bigger alternator, it gives my charging system a work out.

but im sure these are all points youve heard already.

lawagoneer
August 29th, 2017, 11:26
VAhasnoWAVES has a good point about the cable size. My winch is mounted to the bumper and wired with 2/0 fine strand cable and get a little warm when the winch is under a heavy load. I would suggest a couple of things: 1 increase your cable size, 2 I would have a separate set of cables for front and rear. Put quick connects on the winch and cables. 3 mount the cables to the rear in a permanent manner along the frame rails (never run high amperage cables in the passenger area due to fire risk)

Finally if you don't have experience in recovery find someone who does and have them teach you. Recovery with a winch is a hazardous task to undertake. Don't take any shortcuts.

RCP Phx
August 29th, 2017, 11:40
The bumper mounts are 1/4" plate (3) holes per side and then it ties into the front cross section with (2) more bolts. The entire bumper is made from 1/4" plate from what I can tell. I'll take some pics of the mounts and the receiver tube.

If that's the factory 3 bolt locations, then the bumper wasn't built for winching!

volumeknob
August 29th, 2017, 11:49
i understand the merit in having it removable, but here is my thing... ive been stuck a lot of time where just getting the receiver into the bumper would just not be possible, forward or back. ive also been in situations where i needed to get to the winch line QUICKLY to secure a vehicle in a dangerous situation. when you REALLY need a winch... you are going to wish it was mounted onto the bumper. but thats an arguement im sure somone has made to you. i also would not want to be under the hood trying to make electrical connection and keep 4AWG out of danger. furthermore, i shortened all my leads... at full load those long leads provide a ton of resistance. winches can pool a ton of amperage. even with upgraded main cables and a bigger alternator, it gives my charging system a work out.

but im sure these are all points youve heard already.

They have been made yes. I plan to have it on the truck before even hitting the trail. I just want to remove it when it's sitting in my driveway, me being at work all day long and to keep the weather off of it. I ordered some Anderson connectors like you'd see on a fork truck battery, they for #2 AWG wire and will work if I need to quickly remove the winch. I will shorten the leads if I see fit, the extra foot or so isn't going to make a huge difference, these are the cables that came with it, so they're 5' at most.

VAhasnoWAVES has a good point about the cable size. My winch is mounted to the bumper and wired with 2/0 fine strand cable and get a little warm when the winch is under a heavy load. I would suggest a couple of things: 1 increase your cable size, 2 I would have a separate set of cables for front and rear. Put quick connects on the winch and cables. 3 mount the cables to the rear in a permanent manner along the frame rails (never run high amperage cables in the passenger area due to fire risk)

Finally if you don't have experience in recovery find someone who does and have them teach you. Recovery with a winch is a hazardous task to undertake. Don't take any shortcuts.

Thanks for the advice. 1. I hear what you're saying but up front the run is very short, I could see using larger cable to run to the back but even Warn said to just use #2 copper, which is what it comes with. 2 & 3. I have #2 copper welding cable to run from the battery back to another Anderson plug that's attached to the truck.

I don't have a lick of experience in recovery but there's some good info further back in this thread. I don't have any buddies that wheel, so I've been educating myself with military operation recovery guides and becoming a YouTube warrior. If anyone wants to school me, I'll buy the beer :cheers:

volumeknob
August 29th, 2017, 12:00
If that's the factory 3 bolt locations, then the bumper wasn't built for winching!

Unfortunately it's those 3 factory holes. I understand it's not ideal but it's what I have. There's an additional 2 bolts across the front but this is most likely a home built bumper. I could always make some plates for each side that tie into the holes further back on the unibody, maybe this winter.

RCP Phx
August 29th, 2017, 12:01
Don't use your winch until you do! Here's the bumpers plates(standard template) I cut out when I built my winch bumper!
http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww220/apayne82/miscelanuos/27360001_zpspdwchnda.jpg

notamos
August 29th, 2017, 12:12
In need of a winch - where did you get it for that price? I might splurge as well. ;-)

volumeknob
August 29th, 2017, 12:17
In need of a winch - where did you get it for that price? I might splurge as well. ;-)

Learn from my mistake and get it from one of the guys here that support this forum. There's info further back in this thread.

volumeknob
August 29th, 2017, 12:21
Don't use your winch until you do! Here's the bumpers plates(standard template) I cut out when I built my winch bumper!
http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww220/apayne82/miscelanuos/27360001_zpspdwchnda.jpg

I'm not pulling it back off this year, maybe over the winter. I have a trip planned in a few weeks, so if it breaks, it breaks. I'm out of gas with this project, just getting involved in the hobby and I'm about ready to throw in the towel. Anyone need an XJ?

RCP Phx
August 29th, 2017, 12:50
It's a matter of SAFETY, not breakage! Not just to you but others around you or counting on you!

volumeknob
August 29th, 2017, 13:02
It's a matter of SAFETY, not breakage! Not just to you but others around you or counting on you!

I understand it's for safety. If I had the bumper or funds laying around, I would do something about it but I don't right now so..... it'll have to wait. Thanks for sharing your concerns and information.

Green XJ Jeep
August 29th, 2017, 19:12
They have been made yes. I plan to have it on the truck before even hitting the trail. I just want to remove it when it's sitting in my driveway, me being at work all day long and to keep the weather off of it.

I have a Logan's bumper and can put on or take off my winch in 15-20 min, less if I don't run the wires up to the battery.
Your bolt holes are a lot more accessible

Another option is some Factor 55 winch bolts and a water proof cover if you decide to just leave it on.

volumeknob
August 30th, 2017, 05:18
I have a Logan's bumper and can put on or take off my winch in 15-20 min, less if I don't run the wires up to the battery.
Your bolt holes are a lot more accessible

Another option is some Factor 55 winch bolts and a water proof cover if you decide to just leave it on.

I thought about bolting it on and off each time but then I lose the ability to put it on the back, which is part of the reason to do this in the first place.

I'd have to find a winch plate if I left it on the bumper, there's no where to mount the fairlead currently.

VAhasnoWAVES
August 30th, 2017, 07:56
They have been made yes. I plan to have it on the truck before even hitting the trail. I just want to remove it when it's sitting in my driveway, me being at work all day long and to keep the weather off of it. I ordered some Anderson connectors like you'd see on a fork truck battery, they for #2 AWG wire and will work if I need to quickly remove the winch. I will shorten the leads if I see fit, the extra foot or so isn't going to make a huge difference, these are the cables that came with it, so they're 5' at most.

just for fun... take the amperage draw at full load and see how much resistance there is in 4awg wire over a given length. the calculations should be a simple google search away. you may be surprised.

its probably "alright." i dont think warn would put a length of cable in a given size that was inadequate for the winch to perform at full load. but i permanently mounted mine to my bumper and shortened the leads to almost 1.5' for best performance. you can also buy fairlead mounts that bolt under the winch. a simple neoprene cover keeps it safe when the jeep isnt in the garage.

you made mention of a trip in a week or two? where are you going?

volumeknob
August 30th, 2017, 08:40
just for fun... take the amperage draw at full load and see how much resistance there is in 4awg wire over a given length. the calculations should be a simple google search away. you may be surprised.

its probably "alright." i dont think warn would put a length of cable in a given size that was inadequate for the winch to perform at full load. but i permanently mounted mine to my bumper and shortened the leads to almost 1.5' for best performance. you can also buy fairlead mounts that bolt under the winch. a simple neoprene cover keeps it safe when the jeep isnt in the garage.

you made mention of a trip in a week or two? where are you going?

The cable that came with the winch is #2 not #4, just to clarify and yes I'm aware of the difference it would make. I've been playing with big cables for years, being a car audio nuts tends to teach you a lot about this kind of thing. I wouldn't think Warn would but a sub par cable on their product. I've found a few fairlead plates but I don't see the point in going that route, I'll just spend the money on a proper winch bumper first if I was going to make it permanent. I park it outside all day everyday, wish I had place for it inside.

I'm heading to Silver Lake next month on the 16th. I doubt I'll use a winch out there, a recovery rope is probably a better choice. Hopefully my bumper doesn't fly off ....

You're referring to this right? Just for those watching at home
http://i.imgur.com/EJgE1QS.jpg

VAhasnoWAVES
August 30th, 2017, 10:14
close... my smittybilt pulls almost 450 amps at full load.

and ive used my winch more at the dunes than anywhere else. even made money rescuing kids out there with mamas brand new JK (never asked for a dime, but they like to stuff money in my center council).

stay out of the trees.

lawagoneer
August 30th, 2017, 10:43
Warn, like all manufacturerset, supplies cables for the usual applications and average use. It's a cost benefit ratio calculation. That doesn't mean it's the best solution, just the best MOST COST EFFECTIVE solution. Larger fine strand cable will have lower resistance so it will deliver more amperage with less loss by conversion to heat. (remember energy is neither created or destroyed, just transforms from one type to another) The electrical energy that is changed due to resistance converts to heat. In a short run, battery to front bumper, can get by with small guage cable. The longer run will need larger cable to maintain efficency. Also winches power consumption is a vastly different profile than auto stereo amps.

Green XJ Jeep
August 30th, 2017, 12:21
I thought about bolting it on and off each time but then I lose the ability to put it on the back, which is part of the reason to do this in the first place.

I'd have to find a winch plate if I left it on the bumper, there's no where to mount the fairlead currently.

Winch plates can be had for $50 or less.
Mounting on the rear might sound like a great idea but you arent going to use that feature enough to warrant losing ground clearance in the front and smacking obstacles with the winch.
You know where you wheel better than i do. I got rid of my reciever setup because of the mentioned reasons.
Since you are setup for the reciever now go ahead and try it out it might work out for you.

volumeknob
August 30th, 2017, 14:05
Thanks for the tips guys.

Rob Mayercik
August 30th, 2017, 15:49
Honestly, I have been surprised by how little I hit my cradle-mount winch on something, even though I'm only at about 3inches lift right now - maybe once or twice in the 5 years I've had it. Of course, I'm not running "hardcore" trails, so that's probably a factor.

Being able to store the winch indoors away from weather/sticky fingers when not needing it was what I was looking for, as well as keeping the 80lbs off the nose when just pounding pavement. I ratchet-strap it to the spare tire in back when going to the trailhead, mount it there, and then take it off once off the trails for the day. Never had a need to mount in back, but I did splice an Andersen plug into the power wires and feed the connector out through the grill, no need to open the hood to hook up.

JCR Offroad sells (or used to sell) a set of "reinforcement plates" for their older bumpers that tied the 3 OEM bolts to a 4th about a foot back (this gives the same bolt pattern as the OEM tow hook brackets), I have a set with my similar-vintage JCR bumper and it's been plenty stout. Might be worth checking to see if they still offer them to "upgrade your bumper to be "winch-ready".

burntkat
August 30th, 2017, 15:57
If they don't have those plates anymore, C-ROK does. I can vouch for them, they've been on my 90 since they came out, and will soon be going on my son's 97.

volumeknob
August 30th, 2017, 20:17
If they don't have those plates anymore, C-ROK does. I can vouch for them, they've been on my 90 since they came out, and will soon be going on my son's 97.

Interesting, I'll check these out. I was looking at there steering gear box spacer, I think it comes with sleeves for the unibody and new bolts. Need to get the used oem box I have in there and get a brace to finish it off for now.

burntkat
August 30th, 2017, 23:31
I have just installed that very item on my son's 97. I've had the same piece on my 90 since the early 00s. I think I may have been one of the testers, it's been a while.

It does come with new spacers to weld in, but not bolts. They are available for just a bit additional. They also have a version with the additional space needed for the Durango box upgrade. I went ahead and just installed an OEM fitment box (had to replace his because of a sector shaft seal failure) and spacer. You can pretty much count on the stock spacer coming out in pieces and being unsuitable for reuse

volumeknob
August 31st, 2017, 06:34
I have just installed that very item on my son's 97. I've had the same piece on my 90 since the early 00s. I think I may have been one of the testers, it's been a while.

It does come with new spacers to weld in, but not bolts. They are available for just a bit additional. They also have a version with the additional space needed for the Durango box upgrade. I went ahead and just installed an OEM fitment box (had to replace his because of a sector shaft seal failure) and spacer. You can pretty much count on the stock spacer coming out in pieces and being unsuitable for reuse

Are you referring to this: http://www.c-rok4x4.com/c-rok-online-store/C-ROK-Cherokee-XJ-Front-Frame-Stiffiners-p38115469

This wouldn't really work with the bumper, I think I'd be better off making my own mount extensions out of 1/4" plate and welding them on, essentially creating a similar bolt pattern to these brackets linked above. I'm just not sure of the limitations associated with this bumper since it's home built. I'll get some pics this evening so you guys can beat me up a little more lol.

burntkat
August 31st, 2017, 06:54
Yes, that was what I was referring to.

IMHO, I would just go with the C-ROK stiffeners if you can swing it. $170, including the through-tubes, steering box spacer, and a proven design with wrap-under wings is pretty hard to say no to unless you have access to a brake and fabrication experience.

I know you have a homemade bumper that won't work with them- seems to me it would be less work to reengineer the bumper mount surfaces than to fab your own braces. I had a similar problem way back when, and just cut the mounts off my bumper and welded new.

volumeknob
August 31st, 2017, 07:59
Yes, that was what I was referring to.

IMHO, I would just go with the C-ROK stiffeners if you can swing it. $170, including the through-tubes, steering box spacer, and a proven design with wrap-under wings is pretty hard to say no to unless you have access to a brake and fabrication experience.

I know you have a homemade bumper that won't work with them- seems to me it would be less work to reengineer the bumper mount surfaces than to fab your own braces. I had a similar problem way back when, and just cut the mounts off my bumper and welded new.

Well this escalated quickly. Got on the horn with Nates 4x4 which is local to me here in MI and he's whipping me up a winch bumper. I'm still going to make the winch removable, just bolt it on or off when I need it or buy a cover.

Here's a link to the bumper: http://www.nates4x4.com/XJ_Cherokee_Slimline_p/sl_long.htm

I ordered it without the brush guard which is bolt on anyhow. He's including a steering box spacer for free, so that's a small savings. Couldn't say no for $300.

burntkat
August 31st, 2017, 09:40
I see the price is at $575. Who did you threaten to get that price?

volumeknob
August 31st, 2017, 09:50
I see the price is at $575. Who did you threaten to get that price?

Nobody, I actually found a post on craigslist for $375 and asked what it would be without the brush guard because I don't like the way it looks, just personal preference. I think I have mine sold to a guy locally already too.

volumeknob
September 13th, 2017, 09:50
Murphy is a good friend of mine, luck strikes again! STAY AWAY FROM NATES 4X4!

I've been waiting for 2 weeks for the hardware to mount the bumper. I told him before the Labor Day weekend, I had this trip planned this coming weekend. The Sunday before the holiday I drove to pick up the bumper over an hour away and paid cash, big big mistake. I figured I could trust the guy and wanted to support local folks. After the wild goose chase I've had between phone calls and texts, I don't wish anyone this terrible experience. I finally got the frame plates mounted yesterday and put the bumper in place. It looks like dog shit slapped on the front my jeep, huge gaps between the bumper and header panel, the fitment is terrible. The craftsmanship and welding aesthetics is awful, nothing is symmetrical or even. The bolts he ordered me were wrong so I had run back to Mid-state to exchange them for the correct size. The shackles are from China as well so I don't trust using them. Very disappointed and hopefully you guys learn from my mistakes. Lesson learned!

VAhasnoWAVES
September 13th, 2017, 10:29
STAY AWAY FROM NATES 4X4!

been that way for years.

volumeknob
September 13th, 2017, 11:15
been that way for years.

So I've read....Which is too bad, these are things that can be fixed very easily. Maybe I need to start my own company for the off road arena.

lawagoneer
September 13th, 2017, 14:28
Sorry to hear about the issues with your bumper. Few thing more aggregating then getting something that doesn't live up to expectations. Hope you get things straight.