• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Manifold swap and DTC's

SPSERG

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,
This weekend I spent most of it installing my new exhaust manifold. I went with a Banks, and am very happy with it. Its a 99 XJ, that engine wise is mainly stock and about 105k on it. Its in fantastic shape, so I am trying to keep it that way. Here is the problem; i was methodical during the manifold swap and everything came out perfect. It runs, drives and sounds fantastic with one side effect... I keep getting a code of P0122 and P1694. I have checked and verified all of the electrical connectors, they are in perfect appearance. I even went so far as to swap the TPS for a new one, and it made no difference. As soon as I clear the code, shut if off and restart it, they come immediately back. A visual inspection shows no chaffed wires or loose connectors. Tomorrow after work, I will break out the meter and start checking voltage. I'm wondering if anyone has had similar experience? I'm also going to try a different scanner since I use a dongle and an app on my phone. It has always worked in the past though, so I doubt that's it.

Did you install a genuine Jeep TPS ? I would suspect the TPS. Once you have confirmed the TPS is genuine Jeep quality, I would carefully inspect the wire harness at and near the throttle body. There are a number of wire splices in the harness that are somewhat prone to failure due to heat, age, and overflexing during repairs. The P1694 will likely clear up if you find a wiring issue.

Most auto parts stores sell cheap crappy Chinese made parts, some that even come with a "Lifetime Warranty". These parts are poorly manufactured and/or made from inferior materials. They are often out of specification, or even failed, right out of the box. The ones that are not faulty many times will have a short service life before they fail. Always buy top quality replacement parts and genuine Jeep engine sensors. Numerous threads detail long and frustrating searches for a "problem" that ended up being cured simply with genuine Jeep repair parts.

Cheap parts are cheap for a reason.

Last edited:
Thanks. Although I was very careful about the bending radius of those wiring harnesses, I am also very suspicious. I did clean each and every connection point, even though they were clean to begin with. Also, I looked at the harness where it rounds the back of the valve cover and it is not rubbing on the stud. After thinking about it at length, my first course of action is the harness that crosses the fuel rail and handles the majority of sensors.

Question is, can I get into that wiring harness cover that's parallel to the fuel rail? I've taken them off before, but never tried to open one. Thanks!

The problem area is circled.

standard.jpg

I think I may have this under control... I am still using the Jeep as my daily driver, even with the CEL. Yesterday, the light went off on its own at start-up. I tried to reinstall my hypertech tuner and it immediately showed a code of P0700 and the CEL was solid at start-up. I'm using the torque app and a dongle for my scanner, and even though it allows me to reset the ECU, it will come right back. So to summarize; Hypertech is showing P0700 and my app is showing P0122 and 1694.

Today, drove to work again with the CEL on, and right on time after the exact same number of key off/on cycles the CEL is off! Again, its running absolutely fantastic. I did check all of the wiring, connectors and they are all pristine. Even broke down the harness and did not find a single chaffed or damaged wire. Plus 5.18 volts at the TPS.

Here is my theory, so please chime in experts. After completing my manifold swap, it sputtered and took a moment to get started. The serpentine belt squealed briefly too.The computer threw a P0700 code which from what I read is a hard code that can only be cleared from the TCU by a specific scanner. The TCU takes inputs from the TPS so the codes are all related, not random.

I'm going to keep a close eye on it for a few days. Like I said, its running fantastic and the CEL is off. So about that P0700 code. Will it eventually clear on its own after a certain amount of time/key cycles? Or will I have to find a shop with an advanced scanner to reset it eventually? Like I said, it cleared on its own (twice now), and came back when I used the hypertech.

Back