• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to mount battery disconnect switch?

Nimrod

Degenerate Jeeper
NAXJA Member
I'm going to install a battery disconnect switch on my '99 so that I can work on the rig without having to disconnect the ground at the battery post. (Also to deter really lazy or incompetent thieves and as protection against any parasitic current draw that may some day develop. But mostly just so I can work on the rig more easily.) I know this isn't brain surgery, but I'm thinking about where to mount the switch and I'm wondering where others have mounted them. If I don't ask, I'll probably figure something out and a week later I'll see one on another rig and I'll say to myself, "Dang. That's a much better location than the one I chose." So if you have a battery disconnect switch and are happy with the mounting location, I'd like to see a picture. Thanks!

Mods: if you think this is more in the nature of OEM tech than modified, feel free to move it.

I don't have a good answer on where to locate, but I do have a suggestion regarding use of such a switch: Don't disconnect the battery for about a month before you go in for a smog check.

The one time I failed smog it was on account of not enough of the monitors being set. The reason not enough monitors were set was because I had the battery disconnected for some welding. It took me a couple of weeks of driving to finally get the computer to the point of having enough of the monitors set (I forget the exact details, but the requirement was something like 5 out of 6 needing to be set--not all of them, but certainly most of them.)

No one could give me any explanation as to the algorithm the system uses to set the monitors, only speculation that it is a matter of time, engine temperature and vehicle speed.

Just a detail to keep in mind here in the People's Republik of Commiefornia.

If it will work, how about horizontal at the grille. So you can insert key and turn off without opening the hood?

Someplace where you could access it from outside? The reason being, if you had an electrical fire, you could turn off power, without exposing yourself to said fire.

David Bricker / SYR

How about the front crossmember behind or below the bumper?

All good suggestions. The location'll be dictated in part by the reach of my brand new "JeepCables" cables.

Mounted the switch near the battery, on top of the relocated winch relay box
4405035331_7a13b628a3_m.jpg

Back