• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC Recharge

alexgalexg

NAXJA Forum User
I never use my AC. Even when its hot I love to just ride with the windows down. The only time I have used my AC is in wet weather when the windshield is fogged or in the winter to defrost. It does work and does blow cold but it certainly is not as cold as it should be. I am not looking to spend $800 for a crap mechanic to "professionally" recharge my system just so I can find that they massively messed it up later on. I did a little digging on those recharge cans from walmart however the threads I viewed seemed like mostly arguments and inconsistent advice. I am not looking to ruin my already functioning ac system so anyone have some solid advice about the cans? Not going to touch the recharge project if you all think that the cans are a bad idea. It is a 1998 Xj 4.0 so no R12

The only way to properly do it is pull a vacuum on the system for an hour to properly dry it then recharge it with the correct amount. Using an over the counter can (like a/c pro etc...) is a GUARANTEED way to destroy your compressor. Those cans aren't even R-134, they are butane (you can read it on the fine print on the back of the can). They work fine but will cost you more money then you will save by having it done correctly. You should be able to find somewhere to do it for $150 to $300 depending on where you live.

use a thermometer in the center vents and set the ac on max full speed windows down doors closed. should be fairly close to 40. if you compressor is cycling and the temperature is not at 40 just add a little at a time until your down to about 40.

make sure its r134a.

edit* the above post is the correct way to do it. and i would recommend that way also.

The by the book way is evacuate the system, pull a vacuum and then recharge.
But IRL we make do. In this case is the ac is working and you have no major leaks, also meaning no oil losses, then a quickly recharge can might do.

In my experience with the early r134a cars the first ones ac sucked, could take as long as half an hour to feel like it is really cooling.
I think that was because so much of those cars suddenly switch mid production to r134a, so condensers, evaporators, housing were all designed around most effective cooling of a r12 system. Only reason I mention this is your system may be operating normally. I'd test the vent temperature before doing anything to the system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The by the book way is evacuate the system, pull a vacuum and then recharge.
But IRL we make do. In this case is the ac is working and you have no major leaks, also meaning no oil losses, then a quickly recharge can might do.

In my experience with the early r134a cars the first ones ac sucked, could take as long as half an hour to feel like it is really cooling.
I think that was because so much of those cars suddenly switch mid production to r134a, so condensers, evaporators, housing were all designed around most effective cooling of a r12 system. Only reason I mention this is your system may be operating normally. I'd test the vent temperature before doing anything to the system.

If you go to a farm and home they sell cans of 134a with pag100 oil in it. That is a proper all in one recharge can. Used them for all my vehicles that leaked. Had one take a can every week. But fixed it right for 5 bucks a month. It's 20oz for 5 or 6, maybe 7 bucks. If the winter months( when I stock up) it's down to like 2 bucks a can.

I dont see how I could have any leaks. This is a 98 that has never been recharged. My other Xj is a 99 and has better ac than any high end modern car I have ever driven. Although I have seen differences between my two Xjs the ac seems very much the same. The 98 was a barn find that blew an engine at 175k. The owner said the ac was weaker than when new before parked. It is somewhat weak but very consistent so I dont see how it could be leaking. I dont have the above mentioned store in my area so I suppose the consensus from everyone here is its best to have it done at a shop and hope the idiot doesnt screw it up like everything else he or she touches. Thanks for the advice all and happy 4th! :wantyou::patriot::peace:

So, if the system is low and needs freon added. There is a leak. Miniscule or not there is a leak
Your local carquest/AAP, O'reilly etc should have recharge cans/gauges available for purchase

Back