• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Things to expect in Harlan

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
PLEASE be extra careful and watch EVERYWHERE you step and reach. Snakes are prevalent and last year I got within 5 feet of a rattler before he made me aware he was there. Copperheads don't let you now until it's too late. So if you have kids and/or dogs with you be even more careful...there was a dog bit 3 years ago.

Also bring extra shoes and a good rain jacket. If there's any rain you're likely to get a gullywasher and you'll wet your shoes pretty nicely. And chances are it will rain.

Bring food with you on the trails. It's likely you won't be anywhere that is not accessible by at least some of us...BUT trust me...a 14 hour trail ride can leave you hurt, tired, and starving!

The trail leaders will not do anything to put anyone in harms way and if anything should happen on the trail, there will be people there to assist. No one has ever been, nor will ever be, left behind to deal with a situation on their own.

There are several gas stations, 2 grocery stores, and fast food/sit down in Harlan. It is an 11 mile one way drive from the campground to the Walmart - about the farthest point in Harlan that anyone really needs to go.

The campground does have an air tank (free) and a pressure washer (costed) that are available for use. If you need specialty tools for any reason, someone is sure to have one with them. Just ask around

You can buy your park permits on site at the camp store. That is also where you pay for your camping. If you pay cash, the price is what the price is. If you use a credit card at the camp store you will get a small surcharge added on - maybe 3%. The camp store also sells ice.

If anyone is in Harlan on the 4th of July, they do a really nice fireworks show downtown on the main drag.

Bring bug spray and poison ivy pre-treatment aloe

Lower Rock Garden always has copperheads between the main trail and the garden.

Weather can be unpredictable. Sunny and nice one minute, raging thunderstorm the next.

Back