• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ball joints

Rich1911

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with Alloy USA ball joints. I'm replacing the axle u joints and figured I'm half way there might as well do the joints at the same time

Synergy joints.

Dana/Spicer, if a D30, non jk...

I run synergy ball joints, granted I don't have many miles on them due to my jeep spending more time on jack stands lol. but they are plenty beefy. if you don't wanna drop $200 for the synergy, deff go spicer. I got 200k miles out of my stock ball joints, with the last 10k miles lifted and getting well used offroad. and if you do the ball joints I would get new wheel bearings too. $68 each on rockauto for Timkin bearings.

Sounds like Synergy is popular at NAXJA. If I got Synergy ball joints, would I have to use their special grease? Cause that aint happening. They'd get greased with whatever my alignment guy uses for chassis grease. http://www.synergymfg.com/Synergy-Suspension-D30-D44-Heavy-Duty-Front-Ball-Joint-Sets-p-26182.html

How about XRF ball joints? http://www.xrfchassis.com/parts-balljoints.htm

Both those ^ brands claim chromoly and a bunch of other goodies.

Any other brands to consider? Dana-Spicer, Moog, others?

I want good ball joints for D30. Ideally the best available.

Last edited:
This, no reason to spend the money on Synergy for a regular D30.

There is if they are stronger than OEM... I get far greater life from my Synergy joints than my spicer or others I have used. If I was not locked up on 35's and 4:88 gears, I may consider saving some money and going with something in the "value" price set.

There is if they are stronger than OEM... I get far greater life from my Synergy joints than my spicer or others I have used. If I was not locked up on 35's and 4:88 gears, I may consider saving some money and going with something in the "value" price set.

The strength is questionable IMO and they are also knurled. Which I would advise against unless you need the extra girth. You will never be able to use a non-knurled joint again.

Good read.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/upgraded-ball-joints.276/

Thank you for your opinion, I only speak from my experience with them and what works for me. I was in the same boat with oem and kept chewing them up every season- switched to synergy and get 2-3 times the life.
I do not use their "special unicorn grease". Knurled joints or not. It made ME a believer in what works FOR ME...

Back to the OP- I do not have any input or experience in the Alloy USA ball joints, but I hear they are quality as well.

I imagine unicorn grease comes from boiling down the fat in unicorns? Ha ha.

How about XRF ball joints? Anyone use them?

===

To make this post somewhat on the Alloy USA topic... I have read and been told that Alloy USA and Precision are the same brand and used to be made in USA and very good, but now made in China. I'm not saying Alloy USA or Precision are bad because they're made in China. I don't know what their current quality is. I'm just saying it makes me wonder about them.

I'd have a lot more confidence in Alloy USA (or Precision) if they were made in Japan or South Korea because the workers in those nations have a culture of taking pride in their work. Mainland China workers not so much. Some Chinese products are good, some bad, and some in between. The quality of China stuff varies a lot. Taiwan usually makes OK stuff. IMO and IME

Last edited:
I know Moog's lower line(s) has been farmed out, but their Moog Problem Solver line is their top end product. Last I heard Moog Problem Solver parts are still made in the USA. Is that no longer the case?

I've heard Moog Problem Solvers Parts still have a lifetime warranty. Is that correct?

Are Spicer OEM and Spicer Professional Grade the same part? What is their warranty?

Are we talking about HD ball joints here or just stock replacement? Because I've been looking at HD balljoints for my D30 in the new build and haven't seen Dana/Spicer in a HD option. Hoping to run 35s.

Sub'd

Back