• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

motor mod 1990 cherokee

articus

NAXJA Forum User
I have recently purchased a 1990 cherokee pioneer, only to find out a 1994 high output motor was put in. Now I am not complaining! I was able to determine some vacume lines were plugged or hooked up wrong. Any ideas how to make sure the rest of the swap was done correctly? Art

does it run? run good? if so, then your probably fine...but you can also get a chiltons and look around that, just to be safe

are you sure it has a 94 motor in it?

Actually, your best bet would be to find a stock '88 thru '90 CJ 4.0L and park yours next to it. Pop the hoods (helps to get the owner's permission first, of course) and compare.

A 1987 will be very similar, but because '87 was the first year for the 4.0L there were some running changes that may appear different from your '90.

hjeepxj said:
are you sure it has a 94 motor in it?

The year of the head is stamped on top, need to remove valve cover to find it. Unless they just slaped the HO heads on the stock block, it could be a complete motor.

Back