• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ vent cable question and goof off

bradleyheathhays

NAXJA Forum User
Couple questions.

All the air, both a/c and heat, in the old '96 XJ is vented up at the windshield now no matter what position the control levers are in. I assume its b/c of a cable or something that's come unattached. What's the most likely cause of such a disastrous occurrence and how much trouble is it to get at?

and 2...

I got a plastic/rubbery body trim panel (lower pass door) coming off and need to know whatd be a good loosening agent for soaking and then pulling the rest of it off. Appears to be held on by 1" strips of 2 sided sticky foam tape from the factory. Goof off? Or would something else work better?

Check your vacuum reservoir inside the front bumper on the passenger side. If that reservoir is disconnected, cracked, or missing, one of the many problems it can cause is for the heat/ac to default to the defrost vents.

If you are trying to salvage the trim, use a piece of dental floss and slide it under the trim and use it like a saw back and forth. It will slice through the adhesive. Once you get the trim off, goof off is probably your best bet.

Having removed the same adhesive from the roof strips and some of the door mouldings, you absolutely want to use this product:

3M 3612 Adhesive Eraser Wheel.

It's a bit pricey, but you stick it on your drill and it will remove 99% of the adhesive strip, after which some adhesive goop and a sponge will take of the rest. I had all my roof strips off in about 30 minutes this way.

Having removed the same adhesive from the roof strips and some of the door mouldings, you absolutely want to use this product:

3M 3612 Adhesive Eraser Wheel.

It's a bit pricey, but you stick it on your drill and it will remove 99% of the adhesive strip, after which some adhesive goop and a sponge will take of the rest. I had all my roof strips off in about 30 minutes this way.
This, most any auto parts or paint supply should carry it. I know O'reilly does.

Back