• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Custom racing seat brackets, recline angle?

Creeper2012

NAXJA Forum User
Haven't found much on this... (apologies if this is in the wrong section)

This is a strict trail rig, just for reference.

I'm working on replacing our aftermarket suspension seats. Our old ones were a Craigslist score that came out of a Toyota Camry (or Celica?), so they came with slider brackets made for that vehicle. I added "legs" to the slider brackets to get the seat height and angle that we wanted for the XJ and they worked out great... for the remaining life of the seats. Since they were made for a car - instead of the trail/elements - they deteriorated pretty badly after a few years, so it's out with the old and in with the new...

We picked up a set of new UTV (RZR) seats from SuperATV. These are definitely more weather-resistant, comfy, look spiffy and have cut-outs for harnesses. They do have a totally different bolt pattern, so I've already modified one of the slider brackets to match the new seats.

The problem is, the seats do NOT recline.

While I'm still in the mock-up phase, I was wondering if anyone has any insight on a good seat recline angle... either in relationship to the Earth or to the floorboard of the Jeep... keeping in mind that our recline angle will not be adjustable after these brackets are finished (without molding them again). We don't want to feel like we're strapped to a wall, but we also don't want to have to lean forward all the time just to see over the dash/hood. Of course, I can eventually get it with some trial and error, but having a good baseline number that's comfortable for most would probably be a good place to start.

I've found a few threads on factory seat bracket mods that make the bottom of the seats less flat, but no one mentions any angle specs for their results and I'm wanting to modify our existing custom brackets instead of using spacers and washers to get the desired angle (I just feel like it's "the right way" to do this kind of thing... plus I don't have to worry about fab skills or burning carpet with a grinder/welder). I also found some stuff on ideal back-to-seat angles (ergonomics), but that doesn't really apply here either because the seats don't recline (I'm stuck with how the seats were designed). I understand that most people will opt for seats that have adjustable recline features, but there are others who may want this kind of seat too, so I feel this discussion could have some merit.

Bottom line, I'd like to know what angles most people are comfortable with so I know how to build my custom seat brackets. Right now, I've got the back sitting in the ballpark of 20°-25°.

Bottom line is only you can determine what fits good, most seats are built a little different! When I put Mastercraft's in my '95, I had no issues finding the "comfy" spot.

Got one of the seats in, so figured I oughta report my findings...

The back of the seat it at about 75° and the bottom is at about 25°.

That means the seat has a built-in "spine-to-leg" angle of 100°.

My ergonomics research for a good, long-term angle for comfort and pain prevention gave me numbers in the 100°-110° range, so we should be good there. And the angles I got (with a gravity-style angle finder) seemed to be really comfortable for me.

Hopefully this helps someone else someday when they're making their own brackets :cheers:

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Back