• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

upcountry tow package 3.55 wth?

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
99 auto xj np242,29spl trutac.. mine came with the upcountry package from the factory.

I pulled the front diff cover yesterday to confirm gear ratio. the ring has dana 39 11 on it so to my surprise it had 3.55 not 3.73.

1) years ago a genius pulled in front of me and my stock 99 hpd30 was toast. this was replaced by a reputable autobody shop with a 97 hpd30.

2) did the upcountry not all get 3.73, and would i not have blown up my TC offroad if the rear is 3.73 and front 3.55. I havent pulled the rear cover but im pretty sure something wouldve grenaded in 4 low by now right, its been wheeled years after the crash.

Up Country or not, your year was always 3.55 with the auto. Mine with with manual trans and Up Country was 3.07, like every other manual 98.

3.73 was a rare ratio for the most part. 84-85 XJ used it the most, when I tried to replace my Dana 35 for the fourth time I gave up looking for a jeep 3.73 and got a ford 8.8.

98% of the xj after 85 fall in either the 3.07 or 3.55 ratios. Usually 4.0 automatics are 3.55 .

This is on the body shop they should have verified the ratio before instillation.
They may claim the junk yard screwed up, and they maybe right. Regardless the body shop should have checked.

Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Green Mesa XJ has the correct info. One of the first things Chrysler did to the XJ after buying the Jeep name from AMC, was to eliminate the 3.73 gears from the tow package and the option list.

wow thanks guys, i apparently got some crap info on the web and have had my dome filled with certainty that i had 3.73. not a big deal it just means i have to buy new carriers for gears now.

thanks for the input guys this was a surprise haha:rof:

I bought my '99 Limited from the original owner in '07. It was advertised on Craigslist at the time as having 3.73 gears, which I always assumed was factory installed, along with the factory tow package. But of course I could have been wrong. The PO did install a 3.5" lift and 32" tires. So he may have regeared as well. I never bothered to confirm the gear ratio before going to 4.56.

Back