• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cat Back?

alexgalexg

NAXJA Forum User
I have the quietest Xj in the world. This thing is so quiet it could sneak up on a prius. Its time for an upgrade... I like the Dynomax on my other Xj but I want something louder and more grumbly. I picked out the Flowmaster Super 44 I think it should be good but I cant really find a cat back that is made for the Xj? I can buy the muffler but not sure how thats going to go with the oem piping that came with the Xj in 98. Anyone knows a place I can get an exact fit super 44 cat back or has a better cat back to recommend please share

If they are still around, performance-curve.com has xj cat back for reasonable price.

Maybe a little pricey but I purchased Gale Banks Engineering "Monster" single exhaust and a Magnaflow direct fit high flow cat. I give them both five star and so did everyone else that reviewed them.
Sounds great, fit is perfect! hangers were in exactly the right places no adjustments necessary. Can't beat stainless.
Use the 02 sensor port in the muffler instead of the cat if you buy them.
Check engine light on my xj is happy btw:clap:

Transpoquick, I had considered a Banks SS cat-back. I now have the Dynomax but would like to upgrade to stainless. How loud is the Banks muffler that comes with the kit? Thanks.

It's a "throaty" tone, not raspy at all.
Hard to describe, hmmm.
My driveway runs along side the house and when I warm the jeep up out there it rattles the dishes in the cabinets.
It makes the neighbors dogs bark on occasion, but not like my 6.7 CTD when I put it in high idle.
It's a good sound, I'm using it with a factory manifold and the engine is bone stock:wave:

Thanks for the info. I might go with the Banks just to get the stainless pipes. I have a couple extra mufflers to swap in case the Banks muffler is too loud.
The wife dosen't like her dishes rattled...

Bwah!, It's not that loud, there's a good tone you'll like it.
Forgot to mention that there is one cut to make on what there calling the "front tailpipe" to make the hangers point down right and get the tailpipe in the right location w/ bumper. The turn down on the tailpipe is cool to.

What is your current set up? I dream of a super quiet xj. I don't like calling attention to myself or my off roading when I drive late at night. With leaking window seals, piston slap, and this current muffler its pretty loud and every bit will help.

I have a 40-series flowmaster muffler on an otherwise stock exhaust - I was tired of blowing through the OEM-style (read: tin foil) mufflers due to hitting it on rocks.

Other than a little drone at 1500 rpm it seems nearly OEM-subtle but with a nicer base tone.

(Edit) for a stock XJ exhaust, you want 2.25-inch center input, with 2.25-inch offset output - part number 942442. I'd bet you could get it on Amazon or order it through your local parts store.

I had mine built and installed by a local muffler shop.

I recently installed a 2 1/2" stainless system from aFe. The installation was flawless due to the craftsmanship. The sound was definitely better than stock, and not obnoxious at all. Power/Torque increase was minimal. Minimal until I installed their big cold-air intake system! That really woke up the 'ol 4L. The bottom end is not bad, still better than stock. But the big increase was in the mid-range/upper range. And the overall sound now, with the cat-back exhaust AND the cold air intake, is great. Gotta love the constant 'sucking' sound, too!

I've been through a bunch of cat-backs over the years: stock size Borla(sounded great), 2.5" Magnaflow 13216 w/ MBS 2.5" tail, 2.5" Borla Pro-XS 40358 w/ MBS 2.5" tail, modded 2.5" Corsa 24415 for TJ(quality design, but not the sound I wanted then--prob better w/ a cat), and have the Banks 2.5" now(not much different sounding than Borla Pro XS). https://www.ebay.com/itm/161904641609 https://www.ebay.com/itm/310320331791

I dunno why the Borla 40358 link isn't working, but guess they're $30 more now. So for $240+clamps you can put together your own ss cat-back.

https://youtu.be/Mfb8_e-ZIIU

https://youtu.be/ZWnmSxmXqFw
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I ended up ordering the Flowmaster Super 44 from performance curve. Probably have 5 hours of driving on the new exhaust and it sounds good. I like the way it tapers off at speeds that you tend to drive for extended periods of time because it is very loud at many points. Sounds great and im sure it will change a little more as it completes the burn in process. I would recommend getting a different tail pipe than the one performance curve offers though because although they make it a higher resting pipe it will shoot exhaust at the back bumper. So far it doesnt seem like it will get hot enough to burn the paint and since its fuel injected there is no black residue to speak of but its something to keep in mind

Back