• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 35 non c-clip seal question

Cody88xj

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 88 xj with a d35 non c clip and it has an outer wheel seal and an inner wheel seal. So I assume this means the bearing needs to be packed before it's pressed on the axle. Problem is I found this out after the bearing was pressed onto the axle without being greased. My question is
1. Can I remove the inner seal and let the gear oil lube the bearing? Or
2. Do they make a sealed version of the bearing?

Grease it while its on the shaft. Just keep pushing the grease in and rotating the bearings, and put a smudge around the housing surface too.

Inner seal keeps the diff fluid out of the bearings. Outer seal is just to keep gunk out.

I am confused, my parts manual does not show an inner seal for a non C-clip D-35. From what I am seeing, the wheel bearing is lubricated by the gear lube, just like my D-44, and Ford 9-inch.

Probably depends on year. There have been variations of D44's over the years that have a similar inner and outer seal setup, where the bearings are packed with grease as well. All the 44's that came in XJ's have only the outer seal and are lubed by gear oil. As far as I know anyway.

I looked up the parts in my "87 to 90" catalog: Same part numbers for the '87 to '89 axle shaft, retainer plate, seal, wheel bearing, bearing retainer.

To ask the next question:
What axle does the OP really have?
What parts (part numbers) were actually installed?

Those are good questions, but the parts catalogs are not always right. I have found a bunch of errors. Not even the dealer computer is always correct.

should look like this (minus the hole that was drilled to break the inner)

d44-2.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, and it does not take long to pull a shaft for a look-see.

Back