• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lifter bleed down

Thehowler

NAXJA Forum User
I hope someone can answer my lifter question.
I have one lifter, #2 exhaust, that bleeds down overnight. Every morning I hear that lifter rattle for a second before it quiets down. I've been told it does not hurt anything and let it go.
Is this a good idea?
1994 Cherokee 4.0 manual.
Thanks

Run a can of Rislone in the oil. That should clear it up.

How do you know it bleeds down overnight? Depends on what you call a rattle. How do you know it is not just a sticking noisy lifter? If it truly bleeds down and makes a real racket I would be inclined to change it

I've pulled the valve cover and checked torque on all rockers. That particular one #2 exhaust, won't reach torque spec, just keeps turning. Noise free on starups until it sits for a period of time.

That would indicate stripped/pulled threads on the rocker boss!

I've pulled the valve cover and checked torque on all rockers. That particular one #2 exhaust, won't reach torque spec, just keeps turning. Noise free on startups until it sits for a period of time.

Can you record the noise on start up and share it? So far you have not convinced me it is not the 4.0 very common sticking lifter noise on start up, that is not an issue, and if it stays stuck you just press the gas (in park) and run the rpms up to 3500 to 4500 rpm to unstick it.

That would indicate stripped/pulled threads on the rocker boss!

That sounds like an easy fix. But is related to the noise? I doubt it.

That sounds like an easy fix. But is related to the noise? I doubt it.

What !!! If the rocker mounting bolt is spinning, that means the rocker pivot bridge is being supported by the adjacent rocker!

I have a similar noise on my '90 MJ on startup, I have a bad TPS and it makes it revv too high. It's definitely something slapping around before oil pressure builds, lol. Definitely not too good.

Back