• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cam bolt spring and pin

RCP Phx

NAXJA Forum User
Has anybody tried any other methods of locating the cam? I'm thinking of ditching the spring in lieu of a longer pin or a Teflon button!

Why? The spring works just fine.

There is the retainer plate setup from the late models.

P1270267.jpg

I'm installing a 1998 camshaft in my 2000, Russ said that he's still seen 1/8" movement with the spring loaded set-up!

I'm entertaining the thought of adding a "Torrington" bearing, besides the 4.0, most of Rollmaster's sets use them!

when I installed a comp cam 68-232-4 in my 2001 XJ I used the old style cam bolt spring and pin without problems.

It will work, but the 2000-01 Jeeps do not like "cam walk" with the distributorless spark control. That's why Jeep introduced the "thrust plate"!
I should add that I'm spending a lot of money on my stroker and won't let a 5$ part defeat some of the performance!

Last edited:
We'll my bolt/spring/pin kit came in from "Mopar", it didn't include the spring. No matter I wasn't going to use it anyway! The bolt is drilled a lot deeper than I thought, so I will measure off the proved pin to the new one! It does measure .250" dia and that I wasn't sure of. I obviously didn't get a washer, but Russ measured one out @..180" so I can deal with that.

Last edited:
Back