• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best ATF for NP231?

montanaman

NAXJA Forum User
'91 xj with NP231.

What's a high-quality ATF fluid for this? The '91 FSM says Dexron II or Mercon ATF, but that's obviously dated.

I run Mobile 1 Extended Performance synthetic oil in the motor ... is there a similar-quality fluid for the TC? I'm rebuilding mine, and would like to run some good stuff in there to keep it in good shape. Something commonly found in a store would be helpful, but I can order online if necessary.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks.

I was thinking of running Castrol Dex-III for a few hundred miles of break-in, then switching to the better stuff. The Redline D4 looks really good. I run their MT-90 in my AX15.

Any other ideas?

Last edited:
I run MAG1 from the farm & ranch store, Valvoline, or Castrol conventional and change it every 20,000 miles, same as the the transmission. Been doing it this way for the better part of 300,000 miles...

Any brand or type of ATF is fine. Don't overthink it, the 231 and 242 are just chain driven transfer cases. Since the AW-4 transmission uses Dexron/Mercon that is what I put in my 231 and 242 transfer cases. Dex/Merc is also specified in the Jeep Service Manual.

Thanks.

I was thinking of running Castrol Dex-III for a few hundred miles of break-in, then switching to the better stuff. The Redline D4 looks really good. I run their MT-90 in my AX15.

Any other ideas?

I use Synchromesh in the the AX15 and D4 ATF Redline in the NP231. The synchromesh provides for smoother shifting.

Back