• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driveshaft handbrake

Putting the brake on the driveshaft or tcase output has its drawbacks....like no parking break if the rear D/S is out, and no parking brake if a rear axle shaft is broken unless you are locked up good (rear locker).

It may work with the rear D/S out if you are in 4wd with a locked front axle.....

I cant remember the exact way, but when I had my K5 some guys used motorcycle brakes and fabbed the rest. Why do you want to get one?

Thanks for the replies. I had the XJ jump out of park and race down the hill and crash into a tree. I dont trust park any more although it works. Whats your feeling on how reliable park is.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. I had the XJ jump out of park and race down the hill and crash into a tree. I dont trust park any more although it works. Whats your feeling on how reliable park is.

Does your jeep not have an emergency brake?
Seems a lot simpler to pull up on the ebrake vs designing a whole new system that will be no where near as efficient. Or at least repair the factory system if its in operable

Does your jeep not have an emergency brake?

Seems a lot simpler to pull up on the ebrake vs designing a whole new system that will be no where near as efficient. Or at least repair the factory system if its in operable

x2

I tried this using some moped parts from a catalogue that fit on my RE hack n tap flange sye. It went together okay. The challenge is mounting the caliper. The np231 doesn't really offer anywhere to mount to plus it is aluminum.

By the time I had it working halfway decent it still wasn't strong enough to hold the jeep on a tiny incline.

Just put on your big boy pants and dial in the factory parking brake. I did that on discs brakes and it will hold my heavy xj on 35s. No problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is so cool. It is like my old CJ-2A that had a fifth drum behind the transfer case for the emergency brake. Never even occurred to me that they would make a kit like that.

Same with the M-38's, they had a "band" brake(kinda like a reverse band in a automatic) and commonly found in construction/farm equipment.

Then service them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This.

If they barely hold on flat ground then they are in dire need of adjustment.
Imo it doesnt make much sense to reengineer and construct a new emergency brake system if you dont want to climb under your jeep with a 1/2" wrench or do a rear brake job.

Last edited:
Maybe check the cable and make sure it's still all there. Regardless of the bigger tires if you just replaced everything and adjusted it, it should still hold.

or.........

2f80a81464193ac67d72c3017a8455d4329edf388091db49995923f77c025642.jpg

Its all new and adjusted. I am on 33s so thats not helping.

If it's all new and adjusted and still won't hold on level ground, then whoever did the work doesn't know what they are doing.

My ramcharger 39.5s on it, and weighed in the neighborhood of 6000 lbs, but the hand brake held it just fine....on every angle I used it on (see avatar).

If it doesn't hold then it's still not fixed.

The brakes should be holding better. In drive with the parking brake set you should be able to take your foot of the brake pedal and not move. If that doesn't work, fix it. Range Rovers came with rear discs and a driveshaft brake. In some capacity, having a completely separate parking brake on the driveshaft provides a form of redundancy, but does have the other faults noted above. Plus they can be a pain in the butt to work on.

Think I should explain myself a bit better. The handbrake works as good as it always did. What I would like to do is while 4wding a 45 degree slope is to be able to pull the handbrake on and be able to get out of the Jeep and not be worried about the brake holding. Over the years I just use park and it has always held. Since I had it jump out of park and race down the hill I am wondering just how safe park is. One of my buddies in a non Jeep has a driveshaft handbrake and it will hold the vehicle at any angle no questions asked.

Back