• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 help

DezertXj97

NAXJA Forum User
What would cause 1997 Cherokee 4.0L misfire and buck under acceleration and the speedometer to stop working then work again after few moments fuel pump is new crank position sensor is new and don't have a check engine light on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bucking, stalling, and misfiring are typically an O2 sensor issue, but may be related to the speedometer symptoms. Test the O2 sensors, inspect the O2 sensor fuses, and test/inspect the O2 sensor wire plugs and O2 wire harnesses for corrosion, damage, and short or open circuits. Inspect the speedometer drive on the transfer case, and the related wire plugs and wire harness.

Did you use a chrysler cps?

Did you use a chrysler cps?

No aftermarket from rock auto but have been debating on getting a Chrysler cps due to having issues ever since I installed it from ASD FUSES popping to Now this issues friends say it could be the tops sensor so I'm stumped

All of the OBD-II engine sensors can be tested for proper functions. Test any suspect sensors. Test the O2 sensors, inspect the O2 sensor fuses, and test/inspect the O2 sensor wire plugs and O2 wire harnesses for corrosion, damage, and short or open circuits. Inspect the speedometer drive on the transfer case, and the related wire plugs and wire harness.

If you buy a new engine sensor, get a genuine Jeep part. Most auto parts stores sell cheap crappy Chinese "Lifetime Warranty" parts that are poorly manufactured from inferior materials and are often out of specification, or even failed, right out of the box. The ones that aren't faulty often have a short service life before they fail. Always buy top quality replacement parts and genuine Jeep sensors. Numerous threads detail long and frustrating searches for a "problem" that ended up being cured simply with genuine Jeep repair parts. Buy good quality repair parts and genuine Jeep sensors for best results.

All of the OBD-II engine sensors can be tested for proper functions. Test any suspect sensors. Test the O2 sensors, inspect the O2 sensor fuses, and test/inspect the O2 sensor wire plugs and O2 wire harnesses for corrosion, damage, and short or open circuits. Inspect the speedometer drive on the transfer case, and the related wire plugs and wire harness.

If you buy a new engine sensor, get a genuine Jeep part. Most auto parts stores sell cheap crappy Chinese "Lifetime Warranty" parts that are poorly manufactured from inferior materials and are often out of specification, or even failed, right out of the box. The ones that aren't faulty often have a short service life before they fail. Always buy top quality replacement parts and genuine Jeep sensors. Numerous threads detail long and frustrating searches for a "problem" that ended up being cured simply with genuine Jeep repair parts. Buy good quality repair parts and genuine Jeep sensors for best results.

Thank you for the advice will change out the cps and start checking through all the 02 sensors and fuses and wires

Back