• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jeep moves in 1&2 but not in D

omwtwys

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys. My 88 4x4 xj with the 4.0 and auto tranny is having an issue. It ran fine before I parked it for about a week to install an amp and some speakers. Now it will move fine in reverse 1 and 2 but when i put it in Drive it creeps forward slowly kind of like when you haven't let the clutch out far enough in a manual tranny. Doesn't bog down, stall or sputter, idles fine, just doesnt drive like normal once I put it in drive.
Any suggestions? :confused:
Thanks in advance

These have an electronically controlled trans. If fuse, TCU or something in that system fails then it will go into 'limp mode' .
When you drive, have you tried starting in 1-2, and shifting into 3 or OD.?
TCU is on pass side on the b ck side of the lower dash panel.
Also fluid condition/level may be a factor. But it sounds like an electrical issue to me.

Had my 94 do this to me. Cause, a severed harness running to the transmission. The transmission Default's to the gear selected on the shifter when in limp mode. With one exception, with no electronic control, second gear is impossible, second gear is only controlled by the computer.

Thanks guys. Fluid level is good. I think because I was in the area of TCU I will start looking for problems there. I was back there running the power cable for my amp so I probably moved something around. Thanks again!

Back