• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dual battery alternator

tuckholladay

NAXJA Forum User
So I am pretty sure my alternator is going. Check gauges light comes on, battery gauge goes dead, parts store put the tester on and says it is the alternator, plus for the past few years it seems like my batteries have been having a short life.

I am thinking I am just going to replace it, but was also thinking if I want to go with a dual battery set up do I need a more powerful alternator? I have also seen threads where people changed the position of the alternator under the hood, what is the purpose of that?

Any advice or brand suggestions appreciated

unless youve got something crazy to power, why do a dual battery setup?

i run a 136a alternator from a grand cherokee, upgraded the mains cables, and have a quality battery. never had issues powering anything i needed.

Why?

Self-recovery is a primary reason.

They should be wired independently anyway, connected by solenoid, but independent.

So I am pretty sure my alternator is going. Check gauges light comes on, battery gauge goes dead, parts store put the tester on and says it is the alternator, plus for the past few years it seems like my batteries have been having a short life.

I am thinking I am just going to replace it, but was also thinking if I want to go with a dual battery set up do I need a more powerful alternator? I have also seen threads where people changed the position of the alternator under the hood, what is the purpose of that?

Any advice or brand suggestions appreciated

It's moved to get away from water, mud, etc. I would also go with what VAhasnowaves is saying, unless you have a massive need for 2 batteries an upgrade stock alternator, cables and battery is all most should need.

I run a dual battery to power my fridge. Its very useful to have a separate battery to run camping duties. I have it on an auto sensing relay and it connects and disconnects when the voltage is over threshold. Im running a stock alternator. Though the grand 136 is on my list just not a high priority because the setup i have now works good.

If adding dual batteries for reliability, consider http://www.hellroaring.com/bic75150.php instead of a solenoid.

If today's liion jumper packs had been available in 2013, I probably wouldn't have bothered with dual batteries. Now I have the parts so I keep it, mostly for self-jump starting and occasionally for running big loads on the inverter.

Yeah, if you are only looking at getting a second battery Id suggest looking into Portable Battery jump starters: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s_ss_i_0_12?k=battery+jump+starter&sprefix=battery+jump

There are not a lot of good mounting locations for a second battery in an XJ, you have to relocate a bunch of stuff. I origonally wanted a 2nd battery too but after seeing what a pain it was, I opted for a battery jumper and its worked great. Its also saved me in my car too, because I can just throw it in the backseat when Im not in the XJ

I just ran a wire from a powered while the switch is on circuit to a solenoid that tied the batteries together. That way it charges better and you can't run down the normal starting battery with leaving camper lights on. I did have an override switch so I could keep from paralleling a dead camper battery with a good starter battery, or I could parallel them if the starter battery was dead. It was sure nice when it was -40F.

Back