• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 output shaft compatibility

Agreen

NAXJA Forum User
Simple question:

Is the output shaft of the 4wd AWD able to be swapped in a 2wd transmission?

I understand that I will have to completely disassemble the transmission to do this, which I'm comfortable with. I just don't want to dive in and try it out, only to find out that there's something different that prevents it.

Now, the reason I ask is that I have a really nice 2wd XJ, and I got a rolled 4wd XJ (same year and engine). Of course, I want to make mine a 4wd now. The 2wd transmission has no problems, but the 4wd trans slipped fairly bad. If I can get away with swapping the output shaft and tail housing, I can have a known good 4wd transmission, bolt on the transfer case, and have minimal down time.

I know it's more work than finding another 4wd AW4, which I'M OK WITH. I already have the parts. Either you spend time and less money, or more money and less time. I do things right, but I don't need to spend a lot to do it.

I found that thread already. Awesome as it is, it didn't have the info I needed. I may just have to read in to it and hope for the best lol

Information time:

The output shaft can indeed be swapped!!

Here's how:

- You have to disassemble the transmission. Yes, it sounds terrible. It's not hard if you have patience though.
- I followed this video, but I didn't disassemble the whole thing as far as he did. https://youtu.be/vatOfJozFx0

I will assume your transmission is drained and removed.

- Start by dropping the pan. Next, take the 4 bolts off the filter and remove it. Take off the 2 crossover pipes, they just pop loose with a screwdriver. There are 17 bolts that hold the valve body on. Loosen them all and drop the valve body. You'll see 2 12mm bolts under the valve body. Take those out too.
- At this point, there are accumulators, springs, and a check ball valve. You can take these out and set them aside. It makes everything else easier. Just make sure you note where they came from and the order they came out. Take pictures if you need.
- On the side, there's a snap ring and a piston that needs to be taken out. This holds the band in place. Set the piston aside and mark it or whatever you need to do to make sure it goes back together.
- Now let's get to the rotating things. The video shows how to disassemble everything internally. You'll need some snap ring pliers and a long flat head screwdriver. I used an old brake drum to stack everything upside down to keep everything in order. Once you get down to the small snap ring on the output shaft, STOP! You can now remove the output shaft from the back of the transmission. Swap output shaft and reassemble everything the way it came out.

Unfortunately, I already had it completely assembled before I realized that I had the WRONG year donor trans. I pulled the trans from a 98, but it apparently was a pre-98. So I currently have a reed switch output speed sensor ring on the output shaft, where it should be a 4 pulse ring. I may have a solution soon, but I'm still working on that.

Drumroll:

It works! Seems like big news for a lot of people. I have found it difficult to find a 98 or newer xj in J/Y's near me. That's why when I found the 98 for parts, I jumped all over it. So if you aren't scared to do a little work, and you just so happen to have a free 97 or older 4wd transmission, and want to convert your 98&up 2wd to a 4x4, then you're in luck.

Anyway, the 2wd trans output shaft had the fatter reluctor ring (4 pulse "new" style) than the old single pulse OSS. The 2wd also had a 5mm thick spacer between it and the speedo gear. I did some fancy measuring and found that there would be approximately 7 mm of clearance between the reluctor ring and the transfer case input sleeve. So with the snap ring being a little over 1mm and the spacer at 5 mm, I'm at less than a single mm of slack between the reluctor ring and transfer case input. I can live with that.

After reassembling the auto trans, I installed it, filled it uo, and went for a quick drive in 4L so I would know that I had all 4 forward gears by 10 mph. Luckily, I did just that, then went right back to the garage to check fluid levels. I did not check the TC after installing it. It had about 5 or 6 ounces of fluid in it!!

So far, so good. The transmission shifts better than before. It shifts on time, soft/firm as applicable. I may still do a video of how to reassemble the transmission, since there's not one out there. I do not, however, know any (and I mean ANY) specs. Stuff like clutch pack clearances, etc. All I knew is that mine worked, and it should have continued to work after I swapped the shafts, and it did.

Lucky me: I had a 2wd '98 on which the AW4 transmission was bad. So I bought what was represented to me to be a '98 4X4 AW4, bought and had it rebuilt.

The wiring harness that came with the 4X4 trans didn't match and that was just the beginning!

The jeep is now a semi-automatic! by manual shifting, I have reverse, park, 1st, third, and fourth. No second and no lock-up TC.

Using the harness that worked with the 2wd gives me R, P, and 1st. No shifting.

Wish I had encountered your thread many hundreds of dollars ago.!

My reason for writing: in retrospect, were you to tackle this project again, would you do the same thing, of have you thought of a work-around that might have worked.

OH -- and you wouln't happen to have a 4X4 output shaft lying around, wouldja?

So if I could go back and do it again? I think (emphasis on the THINK) you can just chop the 2wd shaft down to length and it should be good, then put the extension housing on for the transfer case and you won't have to disassemble the whole thing like I did.

But I really can't remember if the spline count is the same. Looking back I'd say that it looks like it is, only because the speedometer drive gear splines to the output shaft all the same.

Matter of fact... if you have the 2wd transmission still, see if it's 23 splines on that output. I have another project coming up and I'd really like to know if the 2wd is a good source for 23 spline shaft material.

I forgot to post the picture!

99qSX5T.jpg

Back