• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM t-case skid install

clay

NAXJA Forum User
Before I ask my question, I want to thank all of you for the great info. on this website. I have been coming here for months, even though I don't post much. Reading your posts has taught me more about my XJ than I ever would have learned horsing around with it myself. My question should be an easy one. I just got an oem t-case skid, happily, it lines up perfectly with pre-drilled holes in the frame and crossmember. How do I attach it to the frame? I don't think a standard nut and bolt are going to work since I don't have access to the other side of the frame, right?

Again, I am sure for you guys this is easy and I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Clay

I finally figured out a way to install them without the installation tool. You need a bolt, nut, washer and a nut that is too large for the bolt and will slide over the threads. Assemble the bolt with the small nut going on first then the large nut then the washer. Insert the nutsert into the hole. Make sure you have enough threads to go completely through the nutsert then screw in the bolt till the washer hits. With your left hand hold with two wrenches the large nut and the bolt head, also with your thumb keep the nutsert pushed in all the way. Tighten the small nut with your right hand until the nutsert is completely bottomed out.

Hopefully I didn't explain something you already know. I was convinced that I would have to buy a tool because every nutsert I found either had no splines or they were the same diameter as the barrel. Using my method the nutsert doesn't try to turn because the large nut is held still with the wrench.

Hope this helps.

RTownsend said:
I finally figured out a way to install them without the installation tool. You need a bolt, nut, washer and a nut that is too large for the bolt and will slide over the threads. Assemble the bolt with the small nut going on first then the large nut then the washer. Insert the nutsert into the hole. Make sure you have enough threads to go completely through the nutsert then screw in the bolt till the washer hits. With your left hand hold with two wrenches the large nut and the bolt head, also with your thumb keep the nutsert pushed in all the way. Tighten the small nut with your right hand until the nutsert is completely bottomed out.

Hopefully I didn't explain something you already know. I was convinced that I would have to buy a tool because every nutsert I found either had no splines or they were the same diameter as the barrel. Using my method the nutsert doesn't try to turn because the large nut is held still with the wrench.

Hope this helps.

The official installation kit I got with mine is essentially what you described -- nothing high-tech at all. Basically, it's a plastic bag with two fender washers, one external star washer, a socket head cap screw, a nut, and an Allen wrench.

The thread-sert is pressed into the hole, then the cap screw is run through the nut, the two large washers and the star washer. The star goes against the insert -- that's what prevents the insert from spinning. Hold the nut with a wrench, and tighten the cap screw with the Allen wrench.

Back