• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 longevity

The_Punisher

NAXJA Forum User
I'm converting a 2wd XJ to 4wd. I grabbed a 4wd AW4 off of craigslist.

The trans is claimed to have about 180,000 miles on it. I'm aware these are pretty stout transmissions, and will provide service past 200,000 miles typically?

Is it worth running what I have now? Plan to install a transgo shift kit. Most things on the rig will be new/rebuilt, but not the tranny. Might be running upwards of 300 hp through it.

AW4 are very long lived and often outlast the engine. 400,000 miles is not uncommon. I am not sure how well they will handle 300 HP.

If it doesn't break the bank I would rebuild/have it rebuilt. Hate to have your rig all put back together just to rebuild the trans a few months/years later.

If it doesn't break the bank I would rebuild/have it rebuilt. Hate to have your rig all put back together just to rebuild the trans a few months/years later.

This was my thought exactly.

I'm buying a 4.6 short block from Golen. I have the aluminum edelbrock head that has been ported by russ pottenger and has bigger valves. The newer 99+ intake manifold has been port matched to the head, and I'm going to run a cam from russ pottenger, forget the part number at the moment. 1.7 Roller rockers, good intake, 68mm throttle body and 3" exhaust. Should be close to 300 hp.

I appreciate the other input on mileage, it does inspire confidence. The guy I bought it from was a Marine who seemed trust worthy. He converted his XJ to an AX-15. He ran a tranny cooler which he included in the sale. I poured some fluid from the trans and converter and it looked good and didn't smell burnt or bad.

I got an aw4 that has 200k on it. I'm running 245 hp and 300ft/lbs through it. The biggest complaint is when I tow 3500 pounds it gets hot and a bit loose but when it cools it's ok then. Not even burnt fluid. Never slipped on me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got an aw4 that has 200k on it. I'm running 245 hp and 300ft/lbs through it. The biggest complaint is when I tow 3500 pounds it gets hot and a bit loose but when it cools it's ok then. Not even burnt fluid. Never slipped on me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I won't be towing so this is promising. I'm also running 33's and 5.13's which should also be easier on the tranny.

My Jeep has 376k and I'm not 100% put I think it's original. I beat the crap out of it and fluid filter every 30-50k. I come from drag/road racing and daily driving built muscle cars that usually see redline many times a day. I didn't drive the Jeep any different and personally put about 160k on mine.

335,000 on my 94, all original tranny and t-case. On my second 4.0. My 94 Country came with the tow package and has the factory cooler on it, which I'm sure has extended its life.

I'm not easy on it though!

Back