• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator stop leak for heater box leak?

bradleyheathhays

NAXJA Forum User
I've been smelling hot coolant in the cabin when the heater runs on high temp, and I'm wondering if a radiator stop leak would work in the heater box. Anybody with a specific product recommendation?

Replacing the heater core will be much less of a headache in the long run then putting that crap in your cooling system. I would not recommend putting any stop-leak products in your cooling system, ever.

X2 it may work for a little while but may cause other issues.

X2 it may work for a little while but may cause other issues.

X3. Radiator puke is what I call it, because that's what it looks like when you go to flush the system. Have you actually confirmed it's leaking? I always catch a whiff of coolant when I kick my heater on. No idea why, maybe it does have a small leak, but not enough to cause a major coolant loss and justify ripping the dash apart to replace the heater core.

Not familiar with the later model XJ's but I can pull a whole dash in less than 30 minutes on a Renix era XJ. Rather than fight laying on your side, pull the whole dash. If you are going to try to replace the heater core without pulling the dash, at least pull the passenger side seat.

Replacing the heater core will be much less of a headache in the long run then putting that crap in your cooling system. I would not recommend putting any stop-leak products in your cooling system, ever.

I have been using Bars Leaks dry "stop leak" pellets on every thing I own, even when I replace the entire cooling system. Been using it on everything for about 40 years now with the old school green coolant. I never have any problems except when I buy a used a rig that has been abused, LOL. Those I fix and add bar leaks dry pellets to. I usually keep my rigs for 300,000 to 400,000 miles and about 15 years.

Now for the OP. It may work, and it may not. Depends on the size of the hole. How long it will work on an existing hole depends on how bad it is.

Detroit has been using dry pellets like Bar leaks pellets on all new cars (in the brand new radiator tank when brand new, since at least the 1930s according to Prestone. That is how Detroit avoids warranty cooling system leak problems, LOL.

The guy that first taught me car mechanics in 1974, was a race car mechanic and dealer mechanic for 40 years, going back to the 1930s. He taught me the cracked pepper trick and the history of it.

Race car drivers use to use cracked black pepper at the race tracks it they got a last minute leak. They are both an organic fiber that seeks out leak-holes. They collect at the hole, get stuck in the hole and accumulate till they seal the hole. And ingredient in all coolants combines at the hole with the fibers to seal the holes.

Last edited:
Not familiar with the later model XJ's but I can pull a whole dash in less than 30 minutes on a Renix era XJ. Rather than fight laying on your side, pull the whole dash. If you are going to try to replace the heater core without pulling the dash, at least pull the passenger side seat.

You should come visit Houston for 30 minutes LOL, and teach me OLD school, :laugh3:

I've never had a problem with the powdered AlumaSeal, but it's good to know those Bar's pellets are rockstar.

alumaseal_blister.png

It is the same fiber material as the dry pellets, just no powdered aluminum. I used it a few times in the 1980s with good results. The Copper Bars leaks version is also just as good on older rigs with the green antifreeze. I prefer the dry non metal pellets.

I've never had a problem with the powdered AlumaSeal, but it's good to know those Bar's pellets are rockstar.

alumaseal_blister.png

If the core's bad enough to leak its probably partially obstructed. If you put stop leak in now, you seriously run the risk of plugging it up entirely.

Hmm, but what has he got to loose trying? He can't leave it leaking.

If the core's bad enough to leak its probably partially obstructed. If you put stop leak in now, you seriously run the risk of plugging it up entirely.

True. More of a warning than anything else. I'm just trying to prevent the surprised "i got no heat" post come fall.

Back