• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shock relocation ?

chuck619120

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
On previous brands I have owned, the shocks were mounted on the leaf spring plate. Any reason this can't be done on XJ's? Seems like an easy way to get rid of the anchors that are the lower shock mounts. Any one sell these or will I have to fab up a set?

On previous brands I have owned, the shocks were mounted on the leaf spring plate. Any reason this can't be done on XJ's? Seems like an easy way to get rid of the anchors that are the lower shock mounts. Any one sell these or will I have to fab up a set?
They are mounted low because there isn't much room otherwise. And the way they are situated helps with anti wrap. There are some good write-ups in the Jeepspeed section on punching them through the floor if you want to go that route though.

They are mounted low because there isn't much room otherwise. And the way they are situated helps with anti wrap. There are some good write-ups in the Jeepspeed section on punching them through the floor if you want to go that route though.

Not wanting to go that route. Some have welded mounts to the top of the axle. I was thinking of doing this(not the best pic):

These are front plates but maybe a better idea of what I wanna do:

Last edited:
Still to short for any usable travel!

If youre mounting on top of the leaf plates, youve gotta come thru the floor. Do some work of your own and search the forum for writeups. Theres tons of them.

How much lift will you be running? At 5" of lift, I can only run a 10" travel shock, and they are angled over about 25 degrees. My axle mount is just above the bottom of the axle tube. So, if you go to a top of spring plate mount, with 5" of lift, you'll be losing an additional 2 1/2" of potential travel.

6-7" of total travel isn't much at all.

David Bricker / SYR

If youre mounting on top of the leaf plates, youve gotta come thru the floor. Do some work of your own and search the forum for writeups. Theres tons of them.

So if I want to get rid of the lower shock mounts, the only option is through the floor? I did some research and as you say everything is leading me back to cutting the floor. I am looking for a different solution.

How much lift will you be running? At 5" of lift, I can only run a 10" travel shock, and they are angled over about 25 degrees. My axle mount is just above the bottom of the axle tube. So, if you go to a top of spring plate mount, with 5" of lift, you'll be losing an additional 2 1/2" of potential travel.

6-7" of total travel isn't much at all.

David Bricker / SYR

It is on roughly 5 inches of lift. Any chance you have pics of what u did?

mine are just on the center line of the axle housing tube out towards the spring pack. one front of tube & one on the back. no more hitting the rocks, still plenty of travel, aint this the easy way to do it ?

I don't have great pictures, but maybe these will help.

Lower shock mount to the axle tube:
rear_shock_mount_zps4dmfblrs.jpg

Fairly poor picture of upper mount. The angle isn't as severe as it looks in this picture:

As being built:
rear_shock_mount2_zpsxafhopvt.jpg

Found a better picture. Disregard the minor bend in the shock shaft - I got a little energetic:
IMGP5893_zps08a36297.jpg

This config gives me roughly 5" up and 5" down travel. I'd like a bit more, but am not punching through the floor. Note that this is using 10" short body Bilsteins. You won't get that much travel out of a standard body shock.

David Bricker / SYR

Did you custom fab those or are they pre-fabbed?

I really like that. I need to replace a mount anyway, and this would be awesome.

The mounts started out as parts from RuffStuff, but it's pretty much all custom fabbed. The upper mount is a highly tweaked version of JKS cross brace mount for the XJ. Highly as in 15% original.

The axle is a D60, so original shock mounts (and every other mount) is long gone.

David Bricker / SYR

Back