• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What 4.10 gears? Nitro, Yukon, Precision?

XJalltheway85

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting ready to buy gears for my rear Dana 44. I already purchased an e-locker for 3.92 and up gears since I plan to run 4.10s. I'm not sure what brand to go with since this is for my daily driver, I want to make sure they are quality and run quiet. What do you guys think about Nitro? I've heard good things, but I'm open to other brands.

I don't have an answer, but am really interested in responses. I am in same boat ready to buy and wondering about comparisions. Mine are for the D30,Chryco8.25, but same question

I've always used Richmond gears in my muscle cars and nothing else. They've been around forever, however I'm not sure they offer for the xj or not. Spicer is always a good brand but I'm sure not cheap.

IMO i dont feel that there is much difference in gear quality. It all really depends if they were setup correctly and you follow the break in instructions. Ive had quite a few different brands over the last 17 years.

I was interested in Dana Spicer since I read that OEM gears are the best, but it's hard telling which sets are OEM since Dana Spicer offers some cheaper options like their SVL line. Also I think the only OEM 4.10 gears were thick, so I don't even know if OEM is an option.

I have G2 gears in my rear 44, and I have no complaints, yet. However, if you plan on gearing it yourself I highly recommend AGAINST their shim kits, they suck!

Richmond makes a regular hardened street gear and then they make drag gears designed to take serious shock loads so I can say that not all gear makers are basically the same. A good setup is important and having enough carrier bearing preload.

Ive had good luck with Yukon, but they are usually more money. Pick what's in your budget, most gears are pretty good these days. As said, proper set up is key to a lasting gear install.

I'm still leaning towards Dana Spicer, but I discovered that G2 axle offers a 10 year warranty on their ring and pinion sets. That's the best warranty I've seen so far!

I am happy with my Dana Spicer 4.11 gears. They have run quiet and cool from the first day. I have a Dana 30 and a Dana 44.

they are literally all the same. when vendor A gets low on dana 30 4.10 gearsets, they call up vendor B or C and buy a case off of them.

I'm pretty sure Richmond makes their gears or at least has them made to their specs considering they have two different styles based on the application and Spicer are made by Spicer. The other brands are probably all the same or slight quality, material, heat treat, or machining differences.

You can be sure of that, but you can also be sure when they run out of gears in one line, they move them over from the other lines box and keep selling them.

Literally all the same shit.

Just bought a Dana Spicer ring and pinion set off eBay, the deal was too good to pass up. In my past experience Dana Spicer parts are better quality than most aftermarket parts, and I also wanted to stay as close to OEM as possible. I agree that most gears are made in the same factory, but the different brands represent different quality gears. USA Standard Gears are Yukons that didn't meet specs/tolerances, Dana Spicer even has a crappy line they refer to as SVL. I just wanted to make sure I was buying the Yukon/Dana Spicer quality or equivalent. This is for my daily driver, so I felt like OEM specs/tolerances are important for a quiet long lasting installation.

Yukon all the way. I have setup alot of gears grom motive to nitro to spicer and more. Yukons setup the best and the easiest plus they offer a lifetime warranty. For an extra 85 bucks of course but worth it if you are pushing the limits on your axle.

Back