• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ no start after 4x4 conversion

FlexJ17

NAXJA Forum User
2001 jeep cherokee, had a 2wd aw4 in it, switched to a 4x4 aw4 from a 99 cherokee, got everything on, all plugs connected (none looked dirty), go to start my jeep, it cranks but wont turn over, gauges dont work, odometer reads "no bus", while throwing a p1694 code, i read that it could be the cps, so i switched it to a working one, still nothing, i unplugged the cps and turned the ignition to on, still shows no bus and code. im confused, the same harness on it is what ive been using, no problems whatsoever.

so im thinking are the pcm/tcm from a 4x4 different than 2wd? do i need to go get a pcm/tcm out of a 4x4 cherokee? im stuck

Have you inspected the CPS connector and done a continuity check from it to the ECU? Maybe something got knocked loose when you were doing the conversion.

All the symptoms point to a CPS issue, or a CPS wire harness issue. Visually inspect the CPS wire harness and test wire continuity.

I cant fine a writeup on how to test the cps female connector (to ecm), only how to test the cps itself.

So it could still be the cps even though ive changed them, and i even unplugged eachand turned key on, still get no bus

I also:
Checked connections behind cluster , nothing. Ive never had any problems with wiring or no bus before i put this transmission in, no codes no nothing, thats why im leaning on somethinf to do with that

P1694 Fault In Companion Module. No CCD/J1850 bus messages received at the power train control module (PCM) from the AisinWarner Transmission Control Module (TCM).
P1694 will set if no CCd bus messages are received from TCM for 20 seconds or invalid messages are received for 20 seconds.

Possible Causes
- Faulty Crankshaft Positon Sensor.
- Faulty TCM.
- CCD Bus (-) wire circuit open between PCM and TCM.
- CCD Bus (+) wire circuit open between PCM and TCM.
- Transmission CCD bus wiring damaged/shorted.
- CCD Bus (-) wire circuit open between PCM and TCM.

In the past there have been reports that the TCM has caused similar fault(s). Try unplugging the TCM and see if the NoBus message goes away and all gauges work. If so, replace the TCM. Wire harness/wire plug issues or a faulty TCM should be the first suspects for a P1694.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=63167

Yea i unplugged the tcm, still no gauges no start. Im gonna take the transmission harness apart to check for any bad wires

What did you unplug when pullin g the trans ?...I bet you have a plug somewhere not hooked up . The la k of gauges suggests it .it all worked before swap now it no workee . It is pretty easy to over look something silly and start looking too deep into a cause only to realize your pcm is not connected .

Everything is correctly connected, there arent too many pluga coming off the transmission

Nope...but between the what is on the trans and just what needs moved to access it you have enough to make a mistake ...When you turn the key to on and run , but do not crank the starter do you hear the fuel system prime ? I would check fuses and relays and simple things like the 3 plugs at the pcm .

What are the results of your CPS testing and CPS wire harness inspection ?

My 99 still has a distributor I think your 2001 is coil pack ? do not sure where somethings are at , but the lack of working gauges with key in the on position says either something is not hooked up , a relay or fuse blown or not hooked up...or bad wiring . But if I read you correctly the Jeep ran fine until the swap , so I am leaning towards something not hooked up either from the work or indirectly from moving stuff around during the job .

Places to check...PDC passender footwell ...main fuse block...the two plugs and ground by the dip stick you pulled to pull the trans and any harness connections around this on a 2001 on a 99 with a distributor the ignition coil is there and harness plug . driver side you have the cps harness connection at rear of block and the 3 plugs into the ecu sitting on the inner fender just next to the air box .

What are the results of your CPS testing and CPS wire harness inspection ?

He said he had no gauges with key on I am pretty sure that even with the cps disconnected you still have gauges ...the cps would just cause a no start but his gauges should work despite the no start .

1.tore apart wire harness from cps c
To ecm, no damaged wires.
2. Connections to pcm, and all other have no dirt in them
3.for the hell of it i did the holding the odometer button down and turn key on and all the gauges moved with that check, so they work.
4. Replaced tcm, nothing
5. Replaced cps with new working one, still nothing. This sucks

1.tore apart wire harness from cps c
To ecm, no damaged wires.
2. Connections to pcm, and all other have no dirt in them
3.for the hell of it i did the holding the odometer button down and turn key on and all the gauges moved with that check, so they work.
4. Replaced tcm, nothing
5. Replaced cps with new working one, still nothing. This sucks

Jeep ran just before swap ? Starting from scratch have you checked the pdc and fuse block for bad or missing relay and fuses ...the pdc is on pasenger side footwell the fuse block as you probably know is on the pasenger fender under hood. Relays like the ASD auto shut down.and pcm fuse are must checks take a good relay like the fan relay and swap it into the relays you wish to check fuses obviously visual you can test the pin locations for power with a light or meter to see if they got power. after the fuse block and pdc you move on to fuel and spark and test from there . aI had a CPS , ignition coil and a pcm take a dump all at once so it is not always one thing .

Fixed!, i just now fixed it, went to parts store bought some electrical contact cleaner, went over every single connection cleaned, hooked everything back up, gauges came right on jeep started great, id like to thank every person in here for your help, id still be stuck if it wasnt for you guys. One jeeper to another i appreciate it sincerely

Now go back and wiggle each of those connectors while it's running and see if it cuts out. It probably was a dirty connection, but it could also be a bad connection at one of the crimps at the connector that you managed to get lined up for now.

Back