• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator temp and E fan wiring

ljobbins

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I am trying to find all the wiring associated with the e-fan and the temp sensor in the radiator. There is a lot of diagrams of just the fan but nothing with the temp sensor in the radiator. I have all the wiring in place for the e-fan but the sensor in the radiator has three wires. Two orange that splice together. One orange goes to the firewall while the other goes behind the lights to...?
I know i can wire up a manual switch for the fan if i need to but i like the computer taking over when im not paying enough attention to the temp rising.
So if anyone has some wiring diagrams that would be most appreciated. Thanks.

To my knowledge the 87-90 Renix Open cooling system is the only one that had a switch in the radiator.

It was not a temp sensor as such, it was a thermal Temp ON/OFF switch. On at about 190 F and off at about 170 F IIRC. The OEM switch in the Renix was two wires IIRC? I have no idea why yours has 3 wires? And if it is an aftermarket sensor, I also see no reason for a third wire?

What year is your rig? Open or closed?

The switch in the radiator's exit was a design flaw Chrysler fixed in 1991 by moving the location to the T-Stat housing and using a temp sensor to report to the ECU that then controlled the E-Fan.

88' w/factory ac that I deleted.
Its the e-fan switch that is controlled by the radiator temp. Right next to or below the e-fan there is the connector/sensor that goes into the radiator. There are two orange wires that splice together in a funky orange box thingy(its tiny) and then one grey/black wire. I was tracing the wrong orange wire. So one orange goes to the relay and the other goes to the other side of the engine bay and its cut(my fault when I was redoing some corroded wires) so I have no idea where it is designed to go. Maybe the ac relay?

Yes, that second orange wire goes to the AC relay.

Cool. So for it to work like normal i just need the temp sensor in the radiator to go to the relay and then everything from the fan and inside the cab hooked up like normal right? Ac relay, and everything ac gone.

What color is the 3rd one?

My diagram shows only 2 wires. One wire comes from the ign switch to one side of the temp switch. The other side goes to fan relay and ac clutch relay. There's a diode pack in between. So 12v comes from ign on. If fan switch is off, fan is off. Temps rise until switch closes, 12v applied to fan relay and fan kicks on. Temps drop, fan stops.

OR, turn on ac and ac clutch engages and applies 12v to fan relay, fan on. AC clutch disengages and fan stops.

My 88 has only 2 wires.

Mine only has two wires on the sensor, and I think only 2 on the harness side as well. Nice write up description on the rest of the path. Mine are all hot wired, have been for a decade so I never bothered to trace the rest of it.

What color is the 3rd one?

My diagram shows only 2 wires. One wire comes from the ign switch to one side of the temp switch. The other side goes to fan relay and ac clutch relay. There's a diode pack in between. So 12v comes from ign on. If fan switch is off, fan is off. Temps rise until switch closes, 12v applied to fan relay and fan kicks on. Temps drop, fan stops.

OR, turn on ac and ac clutch engages and applies 12v to fan relay, fan on. AC clutch disengages and fan stops.

My 88 has only 2 wires.

So a peek at my FSM shows a Yellow wire coming from the ign switch to the fan switch. A grey with tracer comes of the other side of the fan switch and runs to the diode pack.

Then it shows an orange with tracer coming off the diode pack to the fan relay and another plain orange going to the ac clutch.

Here's a pic of mine.

IMG_0010_zpsxxqhgzgd.jpg

Last edited:
Back