• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Charcoal Canister

90renixxj

NAXJA Forum User
So I found this Charcoal Canister on another vehicle and was wondering if it'd work for my 90 XJ with the 4.0L. It has two fittings one that says purge and one that says tank.. so will this work? Thanks
a66415c93201427fa7e3df4392079d6d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if anyone will have a better answer than 'try it'. Its a charcoal canister, if the fittings fit, or can be adapted to, your hoses, it will do its job. The other half of the equation would be whether it is close enough to the volume of the original to pass any leak-detection tests the ECU is running. I doubt it will be hard to fool a 90. Try it and see if you get a CEL.

It'll work, but you may have to massage the vacuum lines. I think the vac lines are slightly different sizes e.g. the line that goes to the tank being smaller than the purge line. These look the same.

The canister itself is pretty simple, back in the day they used "coffee cans", so all you need is a line in, from the tank, a filter (charcoal) and a line out to the intake to burn off the fumes.

I'll give it a try tomorrow. Am I correct thinking one line goes from tank to the canister and another goes from Canister to somewhere on my aftermarket intake?

You need a third inlet (no hose) on the canister itself for air to come in to the canister to feed the vacuum on line 2 when the engine is running, and that scrubs the carbon canister to regenerate the carbon. The gas tank vents through the small line one to the canister in the hot summer as pressure and gas vapors build pressure in the gas tank, and the carbon adsorbs the gas vapors. On my renix rigs the vacuum line the from the air intake filter box is about 1/2" while the gas tank vent line is 1/4" or smaller, like brake line tubing.

I agree, the 1990 Renix will have no leak detection system. I think that was an OBD-II 1996 invention?

It'll work, but you may have to massage the vacuum lines. I think the vac lines are slightly different sizes e.g. the line that goes to the tank being smaller than the purge line. These look the same.

The canister itself is pretty simple, back in the day they used "coffee cans", so all you need is a line in, from the tank, a filter (charcoal) and a line out to the intake to burn off the fumes.

Not sure about the 90, but my 92 has a vacuum controlled valve (3rd hose) in the canister. Under vacuum it vents the tank. No vacuum no venting

Interesting, thanks. The Renix rigs do not have a third hose, just an open to the atmosphere hole in the canister.

Interesting, thanks. The Renix rigs do not have a third hose, just an open to the atmosphere hole in the canister.

So can I just drill a hole into the top of it or no? Wouldn't all the exhaust fumes escape with a 3rd hole with nothing on it?

Back