• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Steering

Sullie

NAXJA Forum User
1988 jeep XJ, 4.0L Manuel.

Just got her running reliably, now my next project is fixing the inop power steering...

I'm assuming it's the pump, it makes no noise, it's full of fluid, no leaks I can see, you have to use every muscle in your upper body to turn it, lol...

Anyone know a quick way to verify it's the pump and not another part of the steering system?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Ask Old_Man here, he use to rebuild the PS Gear boxes, he is pretty sharp on that topic.

Could be air in the lines, trapped. Bap pump, fluid level too low, blocked hose or line or filter, or I guess even the gear box. I assume the belt is not squealing?

Put the front end on stands so both wheels are off the pavement. Does the steering wheel turn freely? Doesn't help much, but if it's still tough to turn, it's most likely a mechanical (binding) issue. If it does turn freely, then there is a hydraulic issue.

At a minimum, you should replace the fluid. I'd bet the PO put a bunch of leak stop crap in there and it clogged up. If it was me, I'd pull everything out (pump, lines, gear) and to a very thorough visual inspection of everything I can and try to clean it out the best you can.

It sounds like you got a hack job of a car from the PO and have your work cut out for you.

Back