• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Seafoaming a Renix Engine

90renixxj

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for people's thoughts on seafoam in a Renix as well as the directions of how to use it. I am thinking of doing this hoping it'll clean up my fuel system which is running rich (previous thread) and tends to blow quite a bit of smoke and soot out/in the tailpipe. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Popular in my area of Alaska. I do it just because...

I think it is helpful, but have no scientific proof.

I usually use high octane in the winter, but today tanked up with regular, and a full bottle of Sea Foam.

I often add a couple of ounces of acetone per fill-up, chasing down a couple of ounces of 2 cycle chainsaw oil.

Seems we get some water sometimes at our gas stations, so I do the above to help keep my vehicles fuel system clean, with the addition of a dryer, and a bit of upper cylinder lubrication too.

Does the above help? 'Dunno 'fer 'sho as I have, (again), no scientific proof.
Does the above hurt? So far maybe ok for the past 40k of ownership.., with an engine now kick'in quarter million miles.

I did mine a few years back. Some in the gas, some in the oil and some down the TB.

I continued to pour more and more down the TB until the engine choked out. Pulled and cleaned the plugs. Let it sit for a while (I think it was about 30 min total).

Cranked her up. Smoked like a crop duster. Helped me find an exh manifold crack.

This is what my intakes looked like when I changed the manifold out a few months later.

IMG_0003Medium.jpg

Seafoam will do nothing for that problem. Have you tested the O2 sensor, O2 sensor wires and relay? Checked the Vacuum nipple on the FPR for leaking fuel. Check engine compression and or run an engine vacuum test? Checked all the sensor grounds with an ohm meter. Checked all the operating sensors, MAP, CTS, MAP and O2 sensor at a minimum with a volt meter?

Voodoo tricks do not work on Renix Gremlins. Real science does, LOL.

If you saw the inside of my gas tank and fuel pump I replaced recently, you would not put paint stripping acetone in you gas tank!!!! It melted all the rubber parts and sent the tar like goo all over the tank buts. Ask Cruiser 54!!!! 10% ethanol is bad enough. Biodiesel melted my old fuel hoses into goo in my diesel franken jeep.

Popular in my area of Alaska. I do it just because...

I think it is helpful, but have no scientific proof.

I usually use high octane in the winter, but today tanked up with regular, and a full bottle of Sea Foam.

I often add a couple of ounces of acetone per fill-up, chasing down a couple of ounces of 2 cycle chainsaw oil.

Seems we get some water sometimes at our gas stations, so I do the above to help keep my vehicles fuel system clean, with the addition of a dryer, and a bit of upper cylinder lubrication too.

Does the above help? 'Dunno 'fer 'sho as I have, (again), no scientific proof.
Does the above hurt? So far maybe ok for the past 40k of ownership.., with an engine now kick'in quarter million miles.

Thanks Ecomike.., Reckon I'll stop that acetone additive immediately.., and buy "Heet" when I get water contaminated gas, unless there is a better alternative.

Lucky me I guess.., one vehicle with added 2 ounces of acetone per fill up over the course of 40k, (now quarter million), and another same amount thing for 75k, (now almost a quarter million). Sheesh!

BTW: Diesel fuel here-a-bouts have killed many a diesel engine, mine for one, due to algae bursting it's cellular contents of water.

Anyway, my acetone surplus will be used for perhaps it's intended purposes.

Thanks again!

Thanks Ecomike.., Reckon I'll stop that acetone additive immediately.., and buy "Heet" when I get water contaminated gas, unless there is a better alternative.

Lucky me I guess.., one vehicle with added 2 ounces of acetone per fill up over the course of 40k, (now quarter million), and another same amount thing for 75k, (now almost a quarter million). Sheesh!

BTW: Diesel fuel here-a-bouts have killed many a diesel engine, mine for one, due to algae bursting it's cellular contents of water.

Anyway, my acetone surplus will be used for perhaps it's intended purposes.

Thanks again!

Picture is worth a thousand words. How it was still running just before it died I have no idea,
but that black muck you see was all over the tank walls, to so I had to replace the tank and the pump.

picture.php

Back