• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New rad, new coolant? h e l p

FilthyHippie

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all, I suppose I'll introduce myself: just recently got myself my dream car, XJ ('96)! Problem is, it's also my first car, and I have no idea what I'm doing, though I'm surrounded by people who know how to do their own work, so I'm going to be learning a lot. Very quickly. (Maybe I should have picked a different dream car?)

Anyways, my uncle gave it a once over and told me to have the rad flushed, so I did that a couple days ago. Mechanic said to have the rad and thermostat replaced (both stock), which I was probably going to do anyway, what with the SoCal summer, well... -here- already.

The coolant in the car when I bought it last week was orange, and the coolant put back in after the flush was orange. So probably meaning dexcool?

I've spent probably the better part of 3 hours reading up on coolants and radiators, and I'm really no better off than when I started. Did the dexcool ruin the radiator that needs to be replaced? When I replace it, is there anything I should keep in mind materials-wise? What coolant should I get or stay away from? Should I keep with the orange stuff since that's probably what's been in it its whole life? Does the inventor of dexcool -really- need to be hung? My head's spinning!

Thanks for your patience - pretty much all my posts will be begging for a "XJs for Dummies" book to be written!

I would use just regular greencoolant, and flush out the dex before you put it in. Dexcool really isn't needed. It's not really bad, it was designed as a long life coolant but no one ever flushed it and it led to problems of eating up gaskets and such. Most new coolants are a version of dexcool (organic acid or hybrid organic acid).

Last edited:
Regular green is what you want. Best to stay away from the 5 year orange unless your vehicle was designed for it.

Green coolant and you'll be fine.

The other non green coolants work better with all the aluminum components of newer vehicles and the plastic parts/seals. Plus it lasts longer as the cooling system is neglected just like axles and transmissions. Yellow stuff would also work as that's what later dodges use, like the pt loser. I'd stick with green and change it every couple years.

Hey, as a guy in the middle east... heat issues are always a thing here. I got my car back in May 2016 and most of the time I have worked on Heat issues. I used a lot of the information and write ups that are on this website and other websites.

for my car I have installed 2 Auxilliary Fans in front of the Radiator right behind the grill. I used them from scrap Mercedes Fans as they are Big and Fast. I control them manually, i.e. I have a switch to turn them On and Off.

I have removed the Clutch Fan and installed a Japan imported AC Fan since it is the same AC fan found on American Spec, except its mirrored.

I also have upgraded the Radiator to a full aluminum radiator with bigger pipes (forgot the size)

New Water Pump.

160F Thermostat

Green Coolant

Temperature sensor that starts the AC Fan at a cooler level.

External Transmission Cooler

and more I guess... I'm still new here, but I always thinking about upgrading and modifying my Rig... if you need any help, or more info feel free to contact me.

Hi all, I suppose I'll introduce myself: just recently got myself my dream car, XJ ('96)! Problem is, it's also my first car, and I have no idea what I'm doing, though I'm surrounded by people who know how to do their own work, so I'm going to be learning a lot. Very quickly. (Maybe I should have picked a different dream car?)

Anyways, my uncle gave it a once over and told me to have the rad flushed, so I did that a couple days ago. Mechanic said to have the rad and thermostat replaced (both stock), which I was probably going to do anyway, what with the SoCal summer, well... -here- already.

The coolant in the car when I bought it last week was orange, and the coolant put back in after the flush was orange. So probably meaning dexcool?

I've spent probably the better part of 3 hours reading up on coolants and radiators, and I'm really no better off than when I started. Did the dexcool ruin the radiator that needs to be replaced? When I replace it, is there anything I should keep in mind materials-wise? What coolant should I get or stay away from? Should I keep with the orange stuff since that's probably what's been in it its whole life? Does the inventor of dexcool -really- need to be hung? My head's spinning!

Thanks for your patience - pretty much all my posts will be begging for a "XJs for Dummies" book to be written!

Cooling is arguably the most frustrating aspect of being an XJ owner. I say that as someone who has gone through all the paces. I would do as you are doing...just make sure all the stock components are functioning properly. Then if you are still having problems move to a cooler climate or get rid of the XJ. My two cents.

Thanks all, will do. Trying to pull 'im together on a shoestring budget - and I mean shoestring.

Yesterday I willingly went for a drive in some bad traffic to see how he'd hold up... wound up blasting the heat with the windows down. Didn't get above 215, but it wasn't a fun ride by any means.

Cooling is arguably the most frustrating aspect of being an XJ owner. I say that as someone who has gone through all the paces. I would do as you are doing...just make sure all the stock components are functioning properly. Then if you are still having problems move to a cooler climate or get rid of the XJ. My two cents.

Only going to be in LA for a few more months, a year at best. Taking him to Vancouver with me after that, which means I get to chuck everything I'm learning out the window, and learn to be an XJ owner in Canada! :tears:

And thanks for the reply, good to know I'm on the right track.

(Yes, this means I gotta whip him into shape for a 900-mile roadtrip too. I sh-t a couple bricks just thinking about it. On that note, does the PNW chapter include BC, or are pretty much most members in the states?)

Hey, as a guy in the middle east... heat issues are always a thing here. I got my car back in May 2016 and most of the time I have worked on Heat issues. I used a lot of the information and write ups that are on this website and other websites.

for my car I have installed 2 Auxilliary Fans in front of the Radiator right behind the grill. I used them from scrap Mercedes Fans as they are Big and Fast. I control them manually, i.e. I have a switch to turn them On and Off.

I have removed the Clutch Fan and installed a Japan imported AC Fan since it is the same AC fan found on American Spec, except its mirrored.

I also have upgraded the Radiator to a full aluminum radiator with bigger pipes (forgot the size)

New Water Pump.

160F Thermostat

Green Coolant

Temperature sensor that starts the AC Fan at a cooler level.

External Transmission Cooler

and more I guess... I'm still new here, but I always thinking about upgrading and modifying my Rig... if you need any help, or more info feel free to contact me.

Thank you!

I shouldn't need to do anything real crazy like you. He's only a part-time DD (I can swap cars with somebody who commutes by metrolink when I need to), and I won't be in the area for -too- much longer. Just gotta get through this last summer and I'll be in the clear.

Don't trust the factory gauge. Mine runs 195-200 in 95 degree traffic but the gauge shows over the 210 mark. Check it with an aftermarket gauge or in a pinch an ir temp gun.

I've been running Zerex G-05 without any problems. It lasts a bit longer than the Green, designed for modern engines but also works good with the XJ's cooling system using a cast iron block and brass / metal radiator.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/G-05-REA...3696&wl11=online&wl12=168610254&wl13=&veh=sem

Iron block engines such as the 4.0L, the coolant seems to become higher in iron content which breaks down the coolant more rapidly.

I installed a coolant filter on the heater hose, helps to keep metal, iron and crud out of the coolant so it lasts longer. Picked up some coolant filters for $5.00 each, If your cooling system is fairly clean, coolant filter only needs changing around every 25,000 (+/-) miles, possibly longer intervals, depends on the condition of your engine and cooling system.

Last edited:
Back