• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How's this deal sound

Dragonlich1961

NAXJA Forum User
Looking at a Comanche for sale here locally.
1988 Jeep Comanche.
5 speed
Long bed
Ac.
Bench seat
4*4
Multi piece open rear window.
Openable wing vents(smokers vents)
Straight body and rot free, minus small fist size hole ( maybe baseball in size)in drivers floor. Body is sound.
New tires, 235 75 15 on some older but not OEM black stealies.
Looks like the truck has either faded black paint, or has been rattled canned flat black.
Dakota rear bumper instead of OEM.
No hitch
Dana 35 or 44. Has threaded fill plug not rubber plug like my 94 Dana 35 does.
And only 119 k on odo. Think it has the fancy tachometer guage. Guy wants 3 k. Interior is decent for age, not sure if the headliner has even sagged.
May have a small lift.

IMO you really have to make a list of repair expenses and near future expenses. You'd be surprised how fast the price can double in just parts.

And if it has undercoating, you really have to poke at the undercoating in all those hidden spots with a screw drover. Very possible it has hidden rot under the undercoating.

If you like it buy it. All jeeps are money pits, and maybe you will get lucky and the pit will be full. Just remember to ask Questions. And if they don't sound right back away. And never give the asking PRICE>

Sounds pretty steep to me. Of course depending on how MUCH you want it. the drive train on an 88 with a 5 speed and a D44 has 3.07 gears AND a BA-10 tranny.

From my experience the least desirable set-up. The gearing is weak, the tranny is possibly the worst tranny Jeep ever used. Count on replacing it eventually (read soon).

Check the fuse box for leaks from the clutch master cylinder. Hydraulic fluid melts fuseboxes, it'll also have a C101 connector on the firewall, another 88 gremlin.

A fist sized hole in the floor will require work as the rust will inevitably be worse than what is apparent. I bought my 88 MJ for $400, delivered on a flatbed. I have put about 2K into it any many hours of work, just to get it up to good stock shape. After that I started suspension mods, swapped trannys (the whole drive line actually). My 90 XJ had a much better set-up but I still put around 2K and almost as much time into it.

HOWEVER!! If you really want it and have more money than time you could fix 'er up fine.

Back