• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 or Ford 8.8

smallredxj

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everybody. Yesterday I came across an 89 (I believe) xj 2x4 with a tow package in the junkyard and it has a Dana 44 rear end. I'm not sure about the gear ratio or if it has a limited slip as all the tags on the axle were removed, but either way I figure this would be a quality upgrade over my stock 8.25. But here's my dilemma: one of my buddies has an 88 xj with a ford 8.8 already swapped in that he's parting out. The 8.8 already has a ruffstuff mount Kit, driveshaft adaptor and all the other hardware needed for an xj. I also know for a fact that the 8.8 is a limited slip and it has 3.55 gears so I wouldn't need to worry about regearing it quite yet. It pretty much comes down too what's the strongest axle out of the 2? I don't plan on going bigger then 33's btw. Also the cost of the axles is much different. I can get the 8.8 already built up for $100. The Dana which is already bolt up but doesn't have disk brakes will cost me $240 from the junkyard. Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated! Thanks

If you insist on changing it, go with the 8.8. It will be an upgrade to the 8.25 but if you're only going with 33's the 27 spline 8.25 is great. Now if you haven't upgraded to disc on the 8.25 yet, I wouldn't hesitate to drop the $100 on the 8.8 vs almost the same to upgrade the 8.25 to disc.

If you insist on changing it, go with the 8.8. It will be an upgrade to the 8.25 but if you're only going with 33's the 27 spline 8.25 is great. Now if you haven't upgraded to disc on the 8.25 yet, I wouldn't hesitate to drop the $100 on the 8.8 vs almost the same to upgrade the 8.25 to disc.

Yeah I figured for the price it would cost me to upgrade the 8.25 to disks and find a locker/ limited slip for it I might as well just replace it with the 8.8

D44 has more aftermarket support

Strength is open question. The D44 is 30-spline. If your 8.25 is 97+ then its 29-spline, otherwise its 27-spline. 8.8 from the Ranger are only 28-spline, but the Explorer was 31-spline. Pull a shaft from the 8.8 and count the splines--if its 31-spline it will be the strongest, otherwise the D44 will be strongest. For 33s it doesn't matter, but locked 35s one day and strength will be the favor you do yourself later.

Also to add.. the 8.8 is slightly narrower compared to stock 8.25 which helps with steering. Also the 44 ring gear is 81/2 while the 8.8 is 8.8. As someone else said if you plan on going bigger(tires) in the future go 8.8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

44s have better clearance, and way more aftermarket support.

if you are going to build an axle with aftermarket parts, go with a 44.

if you are going to run OEM parts, go with the 8.8. It will be slightly stronger in stock form, and its cheaper.

either one will be fine on 33"s.

44s have better clearance, and way more aftermarket support.

if you are going to build an axle with aftermarket parts, go with a 44.

if you are going to run OEM parts, go with the 8.8. It will be slightly stronger in stock form, and its cheaper.

either one will be fine on 33"s.

I see this argument often but can't really quantify it. What can you buy for an XJ 44 that you can't get for an 8.8?

Sounds like it all comes down to budget, well over 1k to regear lock and convert to discs for that 44 if ur going through shops or just slap that 8.8 in and spend that money elsewhere. Also do you plan on running those 3.55s on 33s?

D44 has more aftermarket support

Strength is open question. The D44 is 30-spline. If your 8.25 is 97+ then its 29-spline, otherwise its 27-spline. 8.8 from the Ranger are only 28-spline, but the Explorer was 31-spline. Pull a shaft from the 8.8 and count the splines--if its 31-spline it will be the strongest, otherwise the D44 will be strongest. For 33s it doesn't matter, but locked 35s one day and strength will be the favor you do yourself later.

Yeah, should have been more specific, my 8.25 is a 29 spline. The 8.8 is out of an explorer with 31 spines.

Sounds like it all comes down to budget, well over 1k to regear lock and convert to discs for that 44 if ur going through shops or just slap that 8.8 in and spend that money elsewhere. Also do you plan on running those 3.55s on 33s?

Definitely running on a budget as a college kid. I'm definitely leaning to the 8.8 due to what it already has that the 44 doesn't, and definitely not 3.55s for long. I have a Volvo g80 limited slip with 4.10s for the front (not yet installed) and I figure finding an 8.8 with 4.10s in the junkyard shouldn't be too hard.

Where can you find 35 spline shafts? Any junkyard vehicles?

You can't, I thought that was clear. If you can break a 31 spline alloy, you need a bigger axle.

Well, I take that back. If you spent the coin on a c clip eliminator kit you could probably use the 33 spline stuff out there (LSDs). Moser makes 35 spline stuff but you are looking at a spool at that point.

http://www.moserengineering.com/spo...-and-axle-package-c-clip-eliminator-type.html

axles.jpg

Last edited:
If ur looking to do 33s u dont need a 2k dollar built 44 with 35 spline axles. 200 or so will get ya a 31 spline 8.8 with disc brakes, limited slip, (Limited slip will be pretty wore out) and the gears ya need. Spend all that money you will save on a diff cover and welding up the tubes and or trussin the thing. Just my .02 for what its worth. Also what motor and trans do you have and do you use it as a dd? You said you wouldn't have to worry about regearing quite yet with 3.55s but you can always pull one with smaller gears like 4.10s to go with your 33s. If you have the cash though get a ford 9 or something and shorten it up, and yadda yadda yadda

Back