• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to find seat cushion?

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 with the outside edge of my driver seat cushion very deteriorated. I took it to a local upholstery shop and they did their best adding padding back but they said the original foam was so far gone that there wasn't much they could do. They recommended getting new factory foam. I have been scouring local pick and pulls but nothing has come up much better than mine. Is there some place that I can buy new foam? I have been searching google but it hasn't turned up much.

I may have a pair of seats in my pile of stuff somewhere. Where are you located?

I have a 97 with the outside edge of my driver seat cushion very deteriorated. I took it to a local upholstery shop and they did their best adding padding back but they said the original foam was so far gone that there wasn't much they could do. They recommended getting new factory foam. I have been scouring local pick and pulls but nothing has come up much better than mine. Is there some place that I can buy new foam? I have been searching google but it hasn't turned up much.

If you are just talking the foam have you thought about trying to find a decent passenger side one? I picked up some leather seats for my '00 in so so condition. 2 sets. Fronts and backs. I want to rehab them best I can. But I am going to use seat covers on top. I have determined that the leather cover itself is the same part # for the upright part for both sides. The part your back goes against. Now the part your part your butt is on is a different part # for driver and passenger. But that might only be because the outside edge is, in my case, leather and the part against the console is carpet/fabric. I have not gone forward enough with the project to determine if that is the only difference. Seeing how passenger side seats are usually in better shape this might be an out.

I may have a pair of seats in my pile of stuff somewhere. Where are you located?

I'm on east coast just about 45 minutes northwest of Atlanta. If you have one in pretty good shape I would love to talk prices. For just the seat bottom cushion I can't imagine shipping would be too terrible on it.

If you are just talking the foam have you thought about trying to find a decent passenger side one? I picked up some leather seats for my '00 in so so condition. 2 sets. Fronts and backs. I want to rehab them best I can. But I am going to use seat covers on top. I have determined that the leather cover itself is the same part # for the upright part for both sides. The part your back goes against. Now the part your part your butt is on is a different part # for driver and passenger. But that might only be because the outside edge is, in my case, leather and the part against the console is carpet/fabric. I have not gone forward enough with the project to determine if that is the only difference. Seeing how passenger side seats are usually in better shape this might be an out.

Older XJs I know can swap side to side but I'm 99% confident that 96+ are left/right specific.

Tons of them in the junkyards...

I have been keeping an eye out on my visits for the past 3 years and have never come across a good one. They are all nearly as bad as mine.
I'll do what I can to check this weekend. The foam/covers are light and should be inexpensive to ship. But we talk after I figure out what I have.
Although if you can find ZJ/WJ seats they bolt to the XJ bases.

I'll do what I can to check this weekend. The foam/covers are light and should be inexpensive to ship. But we talk after I figure out what I have.
Although if you can find ZJ/WJ seats they bolt to the XJ bases.

I have looked into the the ZJ/WJ seat upgrade. My wife drives an 02 WJ and I love the seats but when I see them in XJs they just look to out of place, plus there wasn't ever a tan interior in the WJ that matched the tan in a 97 XJ.

The ZJ had a matching tan and their seats don't look bad or too out of place but they often so old that they are hard to find in good shape. That and getting the rear seat to fit takes some seat surgery.

I still have the 97-up seats, pads and covers look decent. Make me an offer. Send me a PM with your info and we can discuss further.

A good upholstery shop can shape any foam you buy!

I'm in the same boat. 98 with good fabric but compressed foam seat bottom only. Do auto upholstery places replace foam? Or does someone have a driver's side foam in good shape?

A good upholstery shop can shape any foam you buy!

I had a shop work on it but what they told me is that the foam is so far deteriorated that there wasn't much good material left to build on. They did their best with it but they said I would need a new seat bottom cushion.

I had a shop work on it but what they told me is that the foam is so far deteriorated that there wasn't much good material left to build on. They did their best with it but they said I would need a new seat bottom cushion.

I was referring to buying some good quality new foam!

I'd be happy to do either of the above. Haven't really been able to find any OEM cushions. Found a passenger side cushion for $540. Yikes.

Are you meaning like custom fab a new seat cushion? Or are you meaning buying a new prefab OEM seat bottom cushion?

Yes, cutting your own foam inserts!

any good upholstery shop should be able to make you new foam pieces, boat upholstery shops are usually pretty familiar with having to make new foams. Automotive places tend to get lazy and only want to do prefab foam.

Just a note, highly quality seat foam can get really pricey really quick. If you can find a higher end truck in the JY its usually a good bet you can cut out the foam pieces and they will be large enough to trim down to XJ seat size. Reason I say higher end trucks is usually they have the higher quality/density foam pads.

As someone pointed out earlier using a passenger seat won't work as a drop in. Neither will the covers due to the inside vertical part being the carpet felt and the outside vertical surface being the fake leather(purely comsmetic). However, the seat foam should swap just fine. The main issues here is in addition to actual use, foam breaks down over time just from exposure to heat/air. Even if you find a good looking foam piece odds are it will start falling apart fairly quickly just from age. A lot of manual labor to swap just to have it start crumbling 4 months later imho. I'd go newer JY Truck seat foam or brand new seat foam. I'm on seat #3 and next time i'll probably just bite the bullet and upgrade to aftermarket seats. As you pointed out they are getting harder and harder to find.

Last edited:
Back