• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So, I know, "not another radiator discussion."

IntrepidCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
So, I know, "not another radiator discussion."
I'm having trouble getting some solid information about the CSF 2 row radiator part number 2670. All the info I can find is that it has an aluminum core and that it's "all metal" so I'm assuming that since the tanks definitely don't look aluminum that they are brass? Can anyone confirm that?
Also, if it is brass and as far as I know, you can't weld brass and aluminum together, is it crimped? Is it epoxied?
Does anyone have solid knowledge of any of this or at least a decent educated guess?
Is or has anyone ran this radiator? Did they like, love, or hate it's?

Also, maybe this is too much to ask, but I'm hoping since it has aluminum tubes, does it use the same "B tube" technology as their all aluminum tanks use?

And I've done hours upon hours of reading on this topic so please keep the csf 3 row, champion rads, and "just go with the OEM style" comments, opinions and chatter to a minimum please and thank you. I can only take so much of reading the same old rants on them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pictures I see on eBay look close to oem all metal, doesn't look like an aluminum core in the pics, if they are correct.

Amazon answes says it's all metal, I think it's got to be brass and copper , I think the light weight aluminum remark in the description is to steer customers to a cheaper radiator (3251) if they have sticker shock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the CSF 2671, which is the 3-row version of the the CSF 2670. They are both all brass. The tanks, fins, neck, etc ... all brass. Very high quality radiators.

Also I messed up my first one with "Dex-cool" fluid. It eroded the solder where the tanks are attached, and caused a small leak. Dex-Cool does that to a lot of different systems. It's best to use only the old-fasioned green radiator fluid in our XJs.

I kept the radiator and fed the tiny leak for about 7 years, then I finally called CSF about it. They mailed me a new replacement radiator free of charge. I only had to take a picture of the leak and email it to them. I didn't even have to mail in the old radiator. Very friendly and impressive warranty service.

Best of luck with your decision.

Last edited:
Awesome info everyone! Really helping me clear the air I'll probably end up going with csf 2670, 2671 or even my now new intrigue on the FF dynamics radiator. (Not the fans) the radiator seems solid and high quality from what I've seen and read. The fans seem terrible and insufficient from what I've read about others experiences.
Anyone have anything to note about the FFD rad? Experiences? Knowledge? Life lessons?

I too have the CSF 3-row. After installing it several years ago I
have forgotten about overheating and coolant related issues.
One less thing to worry about...

So which would be better, the 2 or 3 row? I know in some cars a 3 row cools better than the HD 4 rows due to the size of the tubes and they tend to block airflow a bit more.

The 3-row seems to cool better than the stock 2-row.
It was physically thicker than the 2-row and therefore
held a bit more coolant.

That's a good point about the tube size and blocking
airflow. I'd guess that there would be little to gain
with a 4-row...?

I ran the 2670 2-row for a month and it was miserable. I was constantly running hot, in the Summer, dangerously hot. If you are going to do it, spend a few extra $$ on the 2671 and get the 3rd row.

Dont buy cheap all aluminum radiators. Period.

I've been doing alot of reading about radiators recently (also in the market to buy one) and this is the conclusion I've reached. Seems everybody that runs the CSF and Champion units reports they start leaking after a couple years. I looked into the FF Dynamics radiator and from the very few reviews I did find it seems to be a higher quality unit. With its lifetime warranty and competitive price I was tempted to pull the trigger it but after talking with the company I cannot bring myself to give them money. They do not have a phone number listed on their website and have very little online presence. I contacted them via email asking several specific questions about the company and their radiators. I expressed my concerns about some negative reviews I read about their customer service and how little information is out there about their products. The message I got back was nothing short of arrogant and didnt answer any of my questions.

After all of my research I'm going to buy an OEM style replacement. The Spectra units from Autozone have good reviews and the price is right.

Seems everybody that runs the CSF and Champion units reports they start leaking after a couple years.

I just wanted to add that the *only* reason my CSF leaked was because I ran the Dex-Cool radiator fluid. That fluid has a long history of causing leaks in non-GM systems, and I think there is a class-action lawsuit in the works. Basically, it's a "known" issue, which I didn't know about. My radiator started leaking very soon after I put that fluid in there.

I installed the free CSF replacement about 5 years ago, and it's been trouble-free ever since. It's a nice relief to never have to worry about cooling issues.

I tried a champion 2 or 3 core, can't remember which. I tried it due to some overheating issues and sent it back as it made it much worse. They have a very loose fin count which doesn't let enough heat escape the tubes into the air passing through. Put the old factory 3 core copper/brass one back in with a new dealer water pump/thermostat and it's been fine since after a very thorough bleed.

I never got more than 2 years at best, usually 1 year out of the 2 row aluminum rads with plastic tanks. I have two Renix rigs with the CSF 3 row all brass, and no overheating issues on either in 10 years and 7 years. I even still use the plastic closed bottles....One has 290,000 miles on the 87 engine. The Autozone, Napa and Advanced auto Rads claim to be be 3 row but only have 2 rows last time I checked for others on here. The true 3 row is a super tight clearance fit, 1/4" at best if you use the ZJ fan clutch on the Renix jeeps and your Transmission and engine mounts need to be good to keep the clutch from contacting the radiator core according others.

I've been doing alot of reading about radiators recently (also in the market to buy one) and this is the conclusion I've reached. Seems everybody that runs the CSF and Champion units reports they start leaking after a couple years. I looked into the FF Dynamics radiator and from the very few reviews I did find it seems to be a higher quality unit. With its lifetime warranty and competitive price I was tempted to pull the trigger it but after talking with the company I cannot bring myself to give them money. They do not have a phone number listed on their website and have very little online presence. I contacted them via email asking several specific questions about the company and their radiators. I expressed my concerns about some negative reviews I read about their customer service and how little information is out there about their products. The message I got back was nothing short of arrogant and didnt answer any of my questions.

After all of my research I'm going to buy an OEM style replacement. The Spectra units from Autozone have good reviews and the price is right.

If I was looking for another XJ radiator (which I'm not because mine doesn't run a stock size rad). I would go with an all aluminum unit from Griffin. It's expensive but the quality is unmatched.

I recently put the brass 3 row CSF in my Comanche while doing a cooling system refresh and new pump. I'm very happy with the Temps and lack of temperature spikes on the trail or on grades with a heavy load in the back.

I've had a CSF 3 row in our 99 for about 5 years. Never had a leak. It has run hot a couple times REAL hot! But once was pulling a 67 Mustang on a flat bed trailer through Vegas in 117 degrees temps. Likely 6000# load. Yeah it overheated coming off the bridge over the Colorado. The stupid computer run gauges go from one tic past middle to pegged in a second with no warning. The other time was sitting still in traffic, middle of the AZ summer, with the ac running and a leaky heater core. Really can't blame the radiator on either of those. Usually sits just past middle in the hot summer. Warmer than I want, but it's been a good rad. Motor has 220K now, so it's likely gummed up some inside. Next motor I'll likely do a Griffin. For what it's worth.

Talked to CSF the other day, just so you all know, they said the 2671 rad is brass AND copper and was later confirmed by my welder buddy.(if that sorta thing matters to you)
I decided on going with it.
Installed.
I've been dealing with overheating issues for some time now and finally, I can say, all my overheating worries are gone. The CSF 2671 is killing it! Left it to idle for 30min with ac on and 30 with ac off and the temp never rose. Sat in traffic in 95 degrees testing with the ac on and off and it sat just under 210. Stayed around 205 the whole drive back from Palm Springs to Los Angeles. None of this I could ever do without my temp climbing past 235-250 in the pas 4 years.

Lovin the radiator! Direct fit, no issues runs fantastic! Btw the welder said the CSF 2671 tubes are the thinnest he's ever seen on a radiator. I'm going to treat this thing like a newborn baby for a while.

FYI. The reason I bring up this welder multiple timesis because, sadly of a leak issue. I was trying to squeeze the e-fan back in and lightly rubbed up against the radiator causing multiple leaks. He was able to fix it in a couple hours time with no issues and no deleting and tubes for $25. Pressure tested great. Gotta love copper and brass.
Tip: PUT THEM E-FAN AND CLUTCH FAN SHROWD ON BEFORE PUTTING THE RAD INTO YOUR JEEP!!!

Back