• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ Tie Rod/Drag Link

xCWolf

Bring the Boom
NAXJA Member
So I went to the local pick-a-part yesterday and got myself a 98 v8 ZJ tie rod and the drag link as they charged me the same with or without it.

From what I understand I can use the drag link in my 2000 4wd XJ but it's not a true "upgrade" or not really required I guess is that accurate?

I figured since I pulled it I'll pop a new one in as it has far less miles than my factory original drag link.

Thanks!

Ok that's what it sounded like. All the posts I had read before were super vague as to whether it was the same or not or an upgrade or not. newer is better in this situation as the ends feel real nice on this one.

So really the only reason it's an "upgrade" is because it has about 90k less miles on it.

I'm under there guess I'll swap it anyways. Thanks bud!

The ZJ drag link isn't quite identical. The angle of the hole where the steering damper goes is different. You can make it fit, but it will bind the damper slightly. Some people don't have trouble with it, I had better steering when I swapped mine from a new ZJ drag-link to a new XJ drag link.

Interesting. Maybe I'll do the tie rod only than. I'm trying to cure death wobble and I already replaced steering damper ball joints and ujoints. I am a bit concerned that because the death wobble hasn't gone away it's causing a ton of wear on my new ball/ujoints.

I'm also hoping this will help with my vague steering problem along with the urethane boots I put on the ends. next up is adjustable control arms.

I just put in new ZJ drag link and tie rod with no issues at all. I'll throw the stabilizer in tomorrow now that I fixed my toe and no longer have death wobble.

I had to cut and extend my passenger side sway bar mount to make the ZJ drag link clear. I'm at 4.5" currently. I'd imagine lift heights would make the problem (or lack of) vary in degrees of interference.

You don't want it to have any play. There is one bolt on the passenger axle side and one nut where it ties into the mounting bracket on the driver side. Make sure those are tight, and also check the 3 bolts holding the mounting bracket to the body. When mine went out it was the driver side and I replaced it all with the IRO double sheer track bar. It tightened up steering and haven't had any death wobble incidents since.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I had to cut and extend my passenger side sway bar mount to make the ZJ drag link clear. I'm at 4.5" currently. I'd imagine lift heights would make the problem (or lack of) vary in degrees of interference.

Was that at full stuff you had an issue? I haven't tested that yet but I clear lock to lock better than I did with the XJ stuff because of the bend in the tie rod on the ZJ stuff. No more dinging my diff cover is kind of nice

ZJ tie rod install was successful actually seems like the death wobble is gone, even though the old tie rod seemed to be fine when I took it out. The old ends seemed to move smoothly but easier than the ones on the ZJ rod. Maybe they are worn.

I also rechecked my new(ish) ball and ujoints and don't seem to have any play in them which is real nice.

I think I may end up replacing my drag link anyways but I didn't do it today.

Forgot to check the tracbar I'll get down there and check that and control arms a bit later today I think.

Have you had someone turn the wheel back and worth while you check for play in stuff? There really is no better way to check. Components that appear fine might actually be totally wiped out.

Was that at full stuff you had an issue? I haven't tested that yet but I clear lock to lock better than I did with the XJ stuff because of the bend in the tie rod on the ZJ stuff. No more dinging my diff cover is kind of nice

When turning to the right. Don't recall if it would happen at static height. It was on the lift and the suspension was at full droop when I saw the issue so I fixed it.

Have you had someone turn the wheel back and worth while you check for play in stuff? There really is no better way to check. Components that appear fine might actually be totally wiped out.

Just did a few minutes ago. my track bar is shot.

Trying to find one for a 0-3" lift as i'm stock right now but plan to go to 3"

Just did a few minutes ago. my track bar is shot.

Trying to find one for a 0-3" lift as i'm stock right now but plan to go to 3"

Currie makes one, but prepare your wallet... https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cur-ce-9120tjs/overview/year/2000/make/jeep/model/cherokee

I think the V8 ZJ tie rod is more of an "upgrade" for earlier Cherokees. I've got one that I'm planning on putting in my '96 today, so will confirm/deny later. Your shot track bar is almost certainly the cause of your death wobble. I'm going through the same problem right now and I've noticed that the REAL death wobble (like, shake the whole Jeep around and make you soil your under britches death wobble) only happens when I smack something like a crappy expansion joint at highway speeds. So far I've gotten it twice, first in January and once this month, so it's pretty intermittent.

Last edited:
I can get the 0"-2.5" for 130 from rustys or the 3"-6" from rustys for the same price but I don't want to buy one than 6 months later buy another

Currie makes one, but prepare your wallet... https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cur-ce-9120tjs/overview/year/2000/make/jeep/model/cherokee

I think the V8 ZJ tie rod is more of an "upgrade" for earlier Cherokees. I've got one that I'm planning on putting in my '96 today, so will confirm/deny later. Your shot track bar is almost certainly the cause of your death wobble. I'm going through the same problem right now and I've noticed that the REAL death wobble (like, shake the whole Jeep around and make you soil your under britches death wobble) only happens when I smack something like a crappy expansion joint at highway speeds. So far I've gotten it twice, first in January and once this month, so it's pretty intermittent.
The ZJ tie rod will fit with no issues. It's the drag link that's shaped differently.

I just bought an OEM to use for a few months while I put together the parts for my lift. only about $30 better than buying two 130+ dollar track bars

Back