• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

VSS required? 241OR conversion

Ballistic_Tip

NAXJA Forum User
I might have messed up.... I'm currently converting a 1999 2wd to 4wd and in my haste to gather parts, I grabbed a 241OR from a 2011 JK (which doesn't have a VSS output). In doing more research, it appears I need the earlier version with the speed sensor output for the speedo. Is the speedo not working the only negative to not having the VSS signal?

On your 99, it will throw a check engine light for not having speedo signal.

What rear end do you have? I've heard rumors you can trigger your speedo off of the tone rear on an 8.8, but haven't tried it yet.

The 241OR has a driver's side front output and centerline rear output. The 241OR features two ranges; a low range gear that is an impressive 4.0-to-1 (the lowest of all the Jeep transfer cases) and a direct-drive in high range. It features three modes; two-wheel-drive, four-wheel-drive and neutral - for a factory combination of 2H, 4H, N, 4L. Aftermarket modifications allow for the addition of a 2 Low position.
2003-2006 RockTracs feature a three-wire, digital square wave Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) on the short tailhousing assembly, in the vein of modern automotive systems. 2007-current RockTracs do not feature a VSS, as speed sensing is relegated to the ABS computer, which in turn relays speed information to the ECM.
The design of the 241OR is very good. They were engineered for durability and simplicity of build - both an advantage to the OEM assemblers as well as individuals servicing them. The NP241OR transfer case has turned out to surprise us in its strength, gearing, upgradeability and servicability. Most of our customers choose to retain their Jeep 241OR with their conversions. It is very common for them to offer good service behind some of the strongest engines and transmissions.

https://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/transfer-cases/np241or/

Will it affect anything else (performance-wise) not having it connected? I can find alternatives to the speedo not working. I suspect there might be transmission functions that depend on this info? The plan is for an 8.8, I'll explore that option.

Transmission should be a non issue. I drove my 2000 for a week with the speedo unplugged after converting it to 4x4.

Anytime it was moving I got a CEL. When I came to a stop for long enough, it would go out. I would call that a problem on a driver, because on a road trip you won't know if you get a legitimate check engine light.

Yup. 03-06 TJ Rubicon 241's have a speed sensor that plugs right into late model XJ's (although you may need a signal converter to adjust for tire size). JK Rubi 241's have nothing.

If it were me..........it's not............but if it were, I'd find a TJ 241.

Yeah, I'd want it to work with no CEL.

I bought a 242 out of a WJ a while back (abandoned project). Same deal. Ended up popping it open for parts for a friend, but can't for the life of me remember whether or not the mainshaft was splined for a speedo gear. In the case of my 242, the output housing was cast for the sensor, but not machined for it. If that's the case on yours, it might be worth it to pop it open and check (I highly doubt it though).

Back