• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Awnings & Wind. Can they get along?

BALTANAKT

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All,

One of the many things I use my XJ for is as a "support" vehicle during rally-cross season.

The days are long and hot. I recall last season one race was held out in the desert-plains, and it was 104 degrees with not a tree nor cloud in sight for shade. It's always a little windy out there as well. Some days just a breeze, others a bit gusty.

Are there any good options for awnings that could provide shade, while coping with the wind?

Solid shades or tarps do not handle wind well. What is needed is a sun shade that lets the wind pass through.
I use a cheap, rectangular shade sail, bought at Costco, that blocks 80-90% of the sun.
The shade is tied to the Jeep's roof rack, at one end and is supported, at the other end, by two folding aluminum tent poles and guy ropes.
Costco now has the tarps in rectangular and triangular shapes in stock. They are also available in home centers and online.

A military-type camouflage tarp works great too but doesn't block the sun as much. What you use depends on how much shade you desire.

Patio shade cloth is another inexpensive possibility and lets you design the length to your specifications.
Home Depot has the cloth and accessories, such as grommets.

Back