• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Junkyard Axle maintenance

lbseals

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up a Chrysler 8.25 out of a 2000 XJ from a local salvage yard. I'm replacing the d35 in my 92xj. I got a Lokka locker for it, and am wondering what other maintenance i should do other than bearings and axle seals before I put it in?

Thanks

Make sure the vent tube is not plugged.

If i'm going to be regearing it in the future (next year) would it be ok to wait on the carrier bearing and Pinion seal or would it be better to do them now?

Thanks for the replies.

A local guy has given me huge price breaks because I took him the axle, instead of the whole Jeep.

I left brake hardware off the list because it is easy enough to do on the vehicle. That does not mean you can ignore the wheel cylinders or other hardware.

i would play with the pinion to feel out backlash and check for any pinion play.

id recommend against pulling the carrier without the proper tools. the 8.25 uses adjusters, not a shim stack. you cant just pop it in and out like a dana. i would also avoid doing a pinion seal unless it has signs of leaking, as the 8.25 uses a crush sleeve.

^^ this

If its not making noise I wouldn't tear into the gears until you're ready to re-gear.

I would throw it under the Jeep and see if its quiet running.

Then change the gear oil and axle shaft bearings/seals if you wish.

Back