• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sway bar disco and drag link recommendations?

JeepNoob

NAXJA Forum User
Well, after inspecting brakes on the front of the XJ, it's probably gonna need some front end work soon... sway bar link bushings don't look great, pretty much every ball joint but one in the steering linkage is shot, and the sway bar bushings could use replacing too. But I figure if I'm going to go to the effort of replacing all this stuff and aligning it, I might as well step it up a bit.

Sway bar bushings are probably gonna get replaced with some polyurethane stuff, but does anybody have any recommendations on sway bar disconnects or an aftermarket drag link? I think I was originally looking at some Rubicon Express disco's, but after doing some searching, people seem to prefer JKS's here (they're a bit pricier, but if I do some shopping, I could probably pick up a JKS pair for not much more than some RE stuff.) What about steering linkage stuff? I was looking at this system https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rto-rt21005/overview/year/1996/make/jeep/model/cherokee but does anybody know if it's even a step up from OEM? (Sounds like RT is just Crown's "off road" division...)

Edit: I have a '96 XJ 4x4, Dana 30, no lift... for the time being...

I'd avoid that. Guys tend to like the Currie setup for a factory style steering.
You're in Pueblo, just up the road in the springs is serious off-road, local guy and a naxja vendor! Hit him up. He has great options and even stuff he makes depending on what you want.

Unsure of quick disco sway bar links for stock height.
But you can pick up a Daystar/Energy suspension sway bar bushing kit for a low price.
I have never had any issues with stock drag link. I would definitely replace/upgrade the tie rod with V8 ZJ parts, or aftermarket.
But, Currie or Synergy steering are the best stock style steering you can get. It does come at a price.

I'd avoid that. Guys tend to like the Currie setup for a factory style steering.
You're in Pueblo, just up the road in the springs is serious off-road, local guy and a naxja vendor! Hit him up. He has great options and even stuff he makes depending on what you want.

Could you PM me his info please? Only place I hit up in the Springs a bunch is FN Jeep lol. I know JKS makes sway-bar discos for a stock height XJ (Part # 2002, I believe) and I believe Rubicon Express does as well.

Very NOT happy with jks. Every single time I drive the jeep (on road) one of the links disconnects itself. Yes, they are super fast and easy to disco and reconnect, but at the price of falling off all the time. :(

Very NOT happy with jks. Every single time I drive the jeep (on road) one of the links disconnects itself. Yes, they are super fast and easy to disco and reconnect, but at the price of falling off all the time. :(

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Anybody know how to replace the ball joint on the passenger side of the steering link or drag link or whatever they want to call it? It's one of the ones that needs replaced. I checked my Chilton manual and found bupkis. Is it just press in/out like a ball joint or does the whole link need to be replaced?

Very NOT happy with jks. Every single time I drive the jeep (on road) one of the links disconnects itself. (

How is that possible with the lock clips properly installed.
I have at least a 150,000 miles on the JKS discos, so many that the bushings needed replacement and never had a unintentional disconnect.
The sway bar brackets have both been ripped off but the links never disconnected.

There are thousands of JKS discos on the road and have been for many years.
If this was a problem, you would have heard about it by now.
JKS stuff is expensive but it's well built.

I have at least a 150,000 miles on the JKS discos, so many that the bushings needed replacement and never had a unintentional disconnect.
The sway bar brackets have both been ripped off but the links never disconnected.

Yup!

The only problem I had with mine came after installing bigger tires. With the links disconnected and secured, if I happen to have the driver side in full stuff, and turn passenger, it will rub the link and loosen it. This is not a JKS problem!

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Anybody know how to replace the ball joint on the passenger side of the steering link or drag link or whatever they want to call it? It's one of the ones that needs replaced. I checked my Chilton manual and found bupkis. Is it just press in/out like a ball joint or does the whole link need to be replaced?

I am thinking you need to replace the steering link. Terminology sucks, but we can't live without it! :)

I have never had a problem with my JKS discos either. For the record, one of the discos does work with zero lift and works with up to about 3 inches of lift. I had them on my XJ prior to lifting.

I am thinking you need to replace the steering link. Terminology sucks, but we can't live without it! :)

Given that those links seem to be sold with the ball joint already installed, I am thinking you are right.

Alright, plan of attack is measure the sway bar diameter so I can order new bushings, order a new steering link, try to track down a V8 ZJ with it's tie rod still there in a yard, inspect and replace the tie rod ends and sleeve as necessary (worst case scenario, Rugged Ridge makes a beefier tie rod with ends already installed) and order either some RE or JKS disco's. That'll probably come down to some tangible benefit of one over the other (I.E. one accommodates more lift.) Seems like most folks like their JKS disco's, but I've never heard of Rubicon Express making junk either.

Iron Rock offroad also offers a very HD tie rod.

Too late, already bought a tie rod out of a '93 ZJ 5.2 for $35. :D Pretty good shape too, cleaned up nice. I got a new tie rod end for it, ball joint and boot on the other end seems okay, but some fresh new grease should improve it a bunch. I can't go to junkyards anymore, one of the ZJ's this yard had was a '98 Limited originally with a 5.9. Yeah, that thing needs to come home and live with me. :laugh:

Edit: Oh yeah, if anybody else needs a new drag link, Autoplicity has Moog DS1238's for like $27 right now. o_O

I stand corrected, I posted a little hastily and mixed up brands.

BDS are the ones I am having issues with. I won them at naxjas last socal event. They are nothing but trouble, spring loaded clasp that pops off all by itself.

Again, sorry for the confusion.

Iron Rock offroad also offers a very HD tie rod.
For stock height to maybe 2". Otherwise they make their's too short. Best one IMO is Ironman4x4fab.

Back